Pictures Canadian Navy Sailors circa 1943

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Tom Niefer

Pictures Canadian Navy Sailors circa 1943

Post by Tom Niefer » 19 Feb 2004, 18:05

These pictures are from my Father-in-Law's collection of personal WWII photos. I was amazed that they were all in near perfect condition. I thought maybe some of you might find them interesting.

In picture 3 the man in the front row 4th from the left was the Captain. He ran their ship aground in the Bay of Fundy in a dense fog. Apparently he ignored sonar and radar warnings from his crew. Consequently he spent the rest of the war as Captain of a ship that never left Halifax.

In picture 2 the man in the back row 3rd from the left is my Father-in-Law. I told him he doesn't look like that now. He flipped me the bird. :lol:

Cheers,
Tom
Attachments
Dad Navy 1.jpg
Dad Navy 1.jpg (128.1 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Dad Navy 2.jpg
Dad Navy 2.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Dad Navy 3.jpg
Dad Navy 3.jpg (156.29 KiB) Viewed 399 times

Wm. Harris

Post by Wm. Harris » 19 Feb 2004, 19:44

Thanks for sharing those family pics, Tom! I bet your father-in-law has some stories to tell about the Battle of the Atlantic (not to mention night life in Halifax during the war years!!) :D

Here are a couple of my granddad in India. He was a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with the RCAF but got seconded to the RAF and ended up with 52 Air Transport Squadron in the CBI.
Attachments
RK Harris 2.jpg
With some of his squadron mates. My Grandfather is second row, far right.
RK Harris 2.jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 388 times
RK Harris 1.jpg
RK Harris 1.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 388 times

Vesper

Post by Vesper » 19 Feb 2004, 19:53

Great pics :D

Forgive my ignorance Mr Harris but what's the CBI?

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 19 Feb 2004, 20:16

Hi Tom

Looks like you got it all figured out WRT pic posting. :wink:

Great photos. I see your father-in-law was on the HMCS Kentville and also went through HMCS Cornwallis. I myself went thru' there when it was made into (many years later) the CF's recruit school. There is a site that post pics of courses that went through that establishment and they'd probably appreciate seeing the pick you have. I'll try and dig up the site address for you and send it along.

For now you should look at http://www.readyayeready.com/index.htm and see if you can get a bit of the old "JackSpeak" to throw at him. :lol:

It never hurts to impress the in-laws now and again. :D

William
Nice pics too. As the son of a "Blue job" I like to see the old RCAF types in photos too. :D

Vesper
IIRC, CBI is China, Burma, India theatre of Operations in WW2.

regards
A :)

Tom Niefer

Post by Tom Niefer » 19 Feb 2004, 23:11

Here's a nice picture of HMCS Kentville underway.

Aufklarung the problem I was having posting the pictures was because of my browser. I just got a new computer with Windows XP and for some reason no one can determine yet, XP and Opera have a hang up problem. Windows Internet Explorer works fine.

WM. Harris, nice pictures of your Grandad. I've got more if others want to see them.

Cheers,
Tom
Attachments
kentvill.jpg
kentvill.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 375 times

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”