British forces in Innsbruck w/von Braun's surrender

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
impalas

British forces in Innsbruck w/von Braun's surrender

Post by impalas » 27 Feb 2004, 06:55

Has anybody heard of British forces with the 44th Division when Magnus and Werhner von Braun surrendered? The area being Innsbruck and Reutte Austria. My grandpa is 88 years old, served in the 114th Infantry, 44th Division and was there when von Braun surrendered. He mentions being with guys from the 114th, 324th and some "British guys", but doesn't know who the British were. I have his story on tape and need some other viable source to help me make sure all is accurate. His story has been passed down for nearly 60 years, but it is only now that I have begged him to give me details of that day.

USA_Finn

British von Braun capture

Post by USA_Finn » 09 Jun 2004, 19:27

I am e-mailed many of those 'odd but true' stories about the capture of von Braun. So now the Brits are involved? I doubt it just due to the fact that the entire capture account is well documented and has many eye witnesses on both the American and German side.

Do not forget, the Allies were in competition with one another to get assets and people. The Brits and the Americans wanted this rocket team. So did the Russians. Hitler too, he order their death. My father was an interpretor with the 44th and very close to the point of capture. He was excluded from any contact. As he put it "Only the big shots had access." The von Braun team was a big and important haul for the Yanks.

Matti

http://44thdivision.efour4ever.com/vonbrauncapture.html

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 18 Jun 2004, 10:38

There was somekinda bombing incident also were Brauns family got killed. Bombing was done by British planes.

impalas

Post by impalas » 16 Sep 2004, 03:49

do you have any more details on the bombing incident. What town or year?

Channon

Re: British forces in Innsbruck w/von Braun's surrender

Post by Channon » 28 Mar 2022, 19:58

My father was in Reutte at that time. He was a British escaped prisoner of war. He arrived in Reutte just before the American army having walked from Kundl with another man. They were Paratroopers who had been captured at Arnhem. The were being held at a camp in St Johann and had been ordered to repair a bridge at the end of March.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”