British Airborne Forces

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
AirborneAllTheWay

British Airborne Forces

Post by AirborneAllTheWay » 18 Jul 2002, 21:00

I am currently researching a PhD on British airborne performance and was wondering what people thought about it. How do you all consider to have been the better airborne arm? What do you think are the reasons behind 'Airborne spirit'?

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 18 Jul 2002, 21:31

Are you doing a PhD on British Airborne or the Fallschirmjagers??

AirborneAllTheWay

Post by AirborneAllTheWay » 18 Jul 2002, 22:52

Both! If you are interested when I get back I could post my research proposal? Its basically a comparative of their combat effectiveness.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Jul 2002, 23:14

I for one would be interested in reading that, thanks.

/Marcus

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 19 Jul 2002, 14:18

I would like to read it too. Thanks.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 19 Jul 2002, 21:17

The Esprit de Corps that moulded any parachute arm of any country during WW2 was born out a sense of belonging to something special, different and new, and also to some the extra money didn't go amiss.

The rather extreme training they had to undergo bonded the men together and that the nature of there potential employment as a spearhead to either invasion or assault coupled with the likelyhood that they would be behind enemy lines until ground forces linked up with, relying on their own abilities instilled a pride/passion that showed up in their fighting abilities.

Which paratroopers were better is a matter of opinion. All have heroic and not so heroic actions to recall. The Germans had numerous so called Divisions of Paratroopers but very few were in the real sense paratroop divisions. American & British paratroopers have had numerous books written about them whilst the Russian/Italian/Romanian etc have had little coverage in the west.

Wherever Paratrooper fought Paratrooper the greatest respect was shown by both sides.

:D Andy from the Shire

Stéphane

Post by Stéphane » 23 Jul 2002, 19:57

For the Brit Airborne forces just read about Arnhem and operation Market Garden. The British 1st Airborne Division held part of the bridge at Arnhem for two days against vastly superior elite Waffen SS units until told to pull out. Being able two fight off two SS divisions is quite an amazing thing, considering the paratroopers were lightly armed. They only pulled back when their relief failed to arrive. I think this battle tells a lot about their performance.

HaEn
In memoriam

1st airborne

Post by HaEn » 24 Jul 2002, 16:10

Stéphane wrote:For the Brit Airborne forces just read about Arnhem and operation Market Garden. The British 1st Airborne Division held part of the bridge at Arnhem for two days against vastly superior elite Waffen SS units until told to pull out. Being able two fight off two SS divisions is quite an amazing thing, considering the paratroopers were lightly armed. They only pulled back when their relief failed to arrive. I think this battle tells a lot about their performance.
They were awsome !!! Also the Polish who came down there. Had it not been for faulty intelligence, they would have made it. And the war would probably have been shorter. HN.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 25 Jul 2002, 06:48

Operation Market Garden was the idea of Montgomery. He tought that he could defeated Germany before 1945 by takings those bridges. It almost work!

Here is an interesting quote by Lieutenant John Gorman: "We had come all the way from Normandy, fought halfway through Holland and crossed the Nijmegen bridge, Arnhem and those paratroopers were just up ahead and, almost within sight of that last bloody bridge, we were stopped. I never felt such morbid despair."

Of course the Polish 1st Brigade of General Sosabowski did play a very important role and they were awsome :)

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”