19 August 1942

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Aufklarung

19 August 1942

Post by Aufklarung » 20 Aug 2002, 02:58

Dieppe :(

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 20 Aug 2002, 09:46

The operation did suceed in boosting Hitler's confidence in his defences. Even so, it was achieved at a horrible cost.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 20 Aug 2002, 22:56

Also it did boost the confidence of Allied leaders after a fashion. The key here is that DDay was so successful only because the Allies were allowed a practice run in 1942. Both sides recognized that and whereas the Allies developed answers to so many problems encountered at Dieppe, the Axis leaders, for the most part, failed to do much more than what was in place. Rommel of course recognized this and upon taking up office in NW Europe, hastily began to inprove the Atlantic Wall.
I am very proud of our guys and the job they did under difficult conditions was amazing. The Dieppe vets I talked to (about 15 men) actually aren't bitter with the leadership for going on in after secrecy was lost.(in whatever circumstances you believe :| ) They are more angry at themselves for not doing abetter job once landed. They know they were well trained, well equipped, and well led up to Regt level. They were confident to be bringing the war to Hitler. These are not stupid men and have had alot of time to digest what they went through. The POWs could focus on it more too!! I'm ust proud of them, that's all. :D

I like to add tho' that the US Rangers and British Commandos there did a fine job too.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”