Remember Dieppe

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Remember Dieppe

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 20 Aug 2002, 05:49

For all of us Canadian's here, lest we forget the sacrifices made during WW2.
DIEPPE, France (Reuters) - War veterans and officials from Canada, Britain and France gathered in Dieppe on Monday to mark the 60th anniversary of a controversial World War Two allied raid on the French port.

In an emotional memorial service, they paid homage to the 6,100 soldiers who took part in Operation Jubilee, a sea and air raid designed to weaken Germany's Channel defense that killed 1,200 allied soldiers in less than 10 hours of frenzied battle.

The war cemetery in Dieppe holds the remains of 907 Canadians who fell in the ill-fated attack. Most of the soldiers who took part were killed, injured or taken prisoner.

There are still conflicting assessments of the value of the operation, with some saying it was a useless slaughter while others maintain it was necessary preparation for the successful invasion of the continent on D-Day two years later.

Some 5,000 Canadians, 1,000 Britons and 50 Americans took part in the raid on August 19, 1942. A small number of soldiers from Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, France and the former Czechoslovakia also participated.

"I came to fight, not to surrender. My war only lasted eight hours," said Canadian veteran Robert Croshwaite, who said he harboured regrets about surviving his friend and fellow soldier Peter Oliver.

"It wasn't my time. I don't see any other explanation," he said.

Dignitaries at the ceremony included Canadian minister of veteran affairs Rey Pagtakhan, Canadian defense minister John McCallum, British undersecretary of state for defense Lewis Moonie and French veterans' affairs minister Hamlaoui Mekachera.

Here is a photo of Canada's only living Victoria Cross holder.[/quote]
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 983 times

The Desert Fox

Who is the Victoria Cross winner?

Post by The Desert Fox » 26 Aug 2002, 17:14

Who may I ask is this Victorian Cross winner and where did he win it? Was it on the Dieppe Raid?

Also I saw a mention of Australian involvment on the Dieppe raid, does anyone know what it was?

regards
The Desert Fox

Patrick Holscher

Dieppe

Post by Patrick Holscher » 28 Aug 2002, 03:48

One of my uncles having been in it, and having never really recovered from WWII, I cannot help but remember it. An event well worth remembering.

Aufklarung

Re: Who is the Victoria Cross winner?

Post by Aufklarung » 28 Aug 2002, 16:30

The Desert Fox wrote:Who may I ask is this Victorian Cross winner and where did he win it? Was it on the Dieppe Raid?
Nope. This is "Smokey" Smith.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/courage/cro ... ients.html

:D A

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 28 Aug 2002, 20:37

Those Canadians rocked!

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”