Did the Germans tried to kidnap Edward VIII

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Warlord

Did the Germans tried to kidnap Edward VIII

Post by Warlord » 01 Oct 2002, 21:23

I've recently read that the Germans tried to kidnap the former king in1940.At that time he was in France as a member of the British war legation and had to go to the Bahamian islands to become governor of the British colony.Schelenberg made plan to capture the prince with the help of German and Spanish agents.

Warlord

Post by Warlord » 01 Oct 2002, 21:25

Sorry for the mistake in the topic

Dan

Post by Dan » 02 Oct 2002, 01:42

As he was a German sympathizer, why would they want to capture him? The Germans wanted him to have as much power as possible!

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 02 Oct 2002, 15:07

I remember reading Walther Schellenberg's memoirs and he said that He was planning to kidnap Edward VII. They wanted to do so because they still believed thay could invade England. Edward was needed so he could form a pro-German governement in England. The Germans wanted to kidnap him because they did not want the English to take the former king and move him to Canada where he would be kept under surveillance
Last edited by Starinov on 02 Oct 2002, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Warlord

Post by Warlord » 02 Oct 2002, 20:19

Yes, Starinov is right .The Germans tried to decoy him into ambush in Spain and take him to Germany, but the British and U.S. intelligence
understood their plans and the prince was taken to the Bahamians, thus
preventing Schellenberg's plans.

alsaco

Germany and former King of Great Britain

Post by alsaco » 02 Oct 2002, 22:12

There is a book I have read about spying activities to help Hitler, titled something like " Edouard, le roi espion " where the possibility of Edward VII joining Germany in August-September 1940 was mentioned.
The former King was in Portugal and hesitated between obeying his brothers order to join the Bahamas, as Churchill much wanted, staying in Portugal awaiting an appeal from british nobility to form a national conservative government in London or join Germany to offer a peace to Hitler with linking of german and traditional english political principles to organise a new Europe.
The book did not refer to german participation in these hesitations and projects, but considered this as a direct result of the hostility the former King had build up against his brother, the influence of mrs Wallis and the violent desire by Churchill to send the former King somewhere he could not poursue his defaitist actions

I can not be sure this book describe real truth, but it is certainly worth reading. It covers the period 1935-1941, describes the populism temptation of the kingparty, the battle over the mariage, the persons influencing the King, the visits to germany, the collaborationist temptation of some traditionalists, and finally makes reference to some papers a special mission burned in 1945, about informations given n 1939-1940.

Starinov

Re: Germany and former King of Great Britain

Post by Starinov » 03 Oct 2002, 14:57

alsaco wrote:There is a book (...) titled something like " Edouard, le roi espion " .
Do you know who is the author?

Steve

Post by Steve » 03 Oct 2002, 15:35

If I remember correctly the former King had a position with the staff in Paris in 1940 but his loose talk (deliberate?) to a Dutch man in the service of the Germans got back to Britain and he then went to the south of France living the playboy lifestyle. He was ordered to leave France for obvious reasons and went to Portugal where it seems he was contacted by German agents (he spoke German fluently) Churchill got wind of this and he was given something to do far away ie the Bahamas where he spend the war doing illegal currency deals. His pro German views became known to American intelligence (he had a very loose mouth) and a report even made its way to Roosevelt.

starkad

Post by starkad » 08 Oct 2002, 02:49

Why would the Reich kidnap a good, close friend - Edward spent much time (officially & unofficially) with members of the Third Reich.
The British Royal Family were of German ancestory; Queen Victoria's cousin was the Kaiser during WWI - and the family name was changed at the first world war so as to keep in favour with the British people.
The big stumbling block that the Reich found, was not with the British Royal family, but the old war-monger Churchill.... if they became allies of Germany, he, Churchill would not go down in history as the saviour of the British Isles and its peoples.
(All the maps were drawn up, for the new railroads, to take the jews, etc, to several concentration camps spread around Britian.)
Just imagine what G.Britain and Europe would be today if there had been an alliance. (At least there would not be the vermin that we are stuck with today !!)

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 08 Oct 2002, 02:54

Just imagine what G.Britain and Europe would be today if there had been an alliance. (At least there would not be the vermin that we are stuck with today !!)
8O

Yes I would think few more million people would have been gassed, shot, burned by the Nazi regime, Germany would have been nuked by the United States perhaps etc. etc.

I give the Brits a huge amount of credit for WWII, it was they who kept it going when many others seen no hope.

old war-monger Churchill
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always laugh at such comments..... Warmonger

Citadel

The Official British Version

Post by Citadel » 13 Oct 2002, 20:51

Ty Caldric, if we had given in before our rescue by the Americans then the USA would have faced a new and hostile world.

The British Foreign Office in 1957 issued a formal statement declaring that the Duke had never wavered in his loyalty to Great Britain during the war. The prince himself, via solicitors on August 1 1957, issued a denial of any pro-Nazi links - although he was aware of pro-Nazi elements around him at the time in question.

Did a plot exist, yes. Did the Germans intend to kidnap him, yes on the belief he would form an anti-Churchillian clique. Was he willing , waiting for the call.......we all have parts of our lives we wish were different, I'll let the last paragraph speak for him and hold judgement on another mans' morality.

Schwalbe

Post by Schwalbe » 18 Oct 2002, 13:31

Isn´t this the plot in Jack Higgins (Harry Patterson) book "To catch a king".

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 18 Oct 2002, 14:18

In a fiction novel that I am writing at the moment, Edward VII went to the Channel Islands and formed a British Government-in-Exile, still on the first chapter but people I have shown it to have found it very interesting.
Regards,Bill

Citadel

:o)

Post by Citadel » 21 Oct 2002, 22:24

Sounds an interesting concept for a book....

Lobscouse

The man who would be king

Post by Lobscouse » 22 Oct 2002, 05:50

Hey guys, don't you all mean Edward the Eighth, not Edward VII?

Kaiser Wilhelm was not Queen Victoria's cousin, but her grandson.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”