Swedish trading beyond the Baltic/Scandinavia

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Hyus

Swedish trading beyond the Baltic/Scandinavia

Post by Hyus » 15 Sep 2020, 13:53

Was Swedish trade able to be maintained, even on a small level, with any nations beyond the Baltic and Scandinavian regions during WW2? Or were they effectively cut off from the wider world? If so, with whom were they trading, what goods were being moved, and what routes were taken?

Ironmachine

Re: Swedish trading beyond the Baltic/Scandinavia

Post by Ironmachine » 15 Sep 2020, 14:54

I can confirm that Swedish trade (both import and export) was maintained with Spain during WW2. As to the goods involved and the routes taken, I can't help.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 15 Sep 2020, 18:35

England - see British Merchant Navy blockade runner MV Gay Viking. And no stupid name jokes, please!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Gay_Viking

Waleed

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 18 Sep 2020, 13:45

Ironmachine wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 14:54
I can confirm that Swedish trade (both import and export) was maintained with Spain during WW2. As to the goods involved and the routes taken, I can't help.
Oranges, Cork, Leather? I can't see the Brits allowing much Tungsten to pass by sea, tho the Germans would have allowed some by rail and Baltic ferry. They did want the Swedish manufacturing to supply the Reich, so some amount of items like Chromite, Wolfram, ect... could have passed through Germany.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”