Luxembourg Army weapons

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
OldBill

Luxembourg Army weapons

Post by OldBill » 21 Aug 2020 18:44

I've not found much online about the weaponry of the Luxembourg Army and Gendarmerie prior to the German invasion. Can any of you tell me what they were equipped with?

gebhk

Re: Luxembourg Army weapons

Post by gebhk » 29 Sep 2020 11:59

OldBill, I feel your pain!

While I have found some lists of Luxembourg weapons of WW2, they include everything any Luxembourger touched anywhere during the entire war (and the Korean War too, it would appear). So about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Possibly MG08 MMG, Swedish Mauser rifles and FN Browning pistols (? Browning Hi-power). Maybe Brens and Boys anti-tank rifles. Outside chance, maybe FN M2HB HMG.

My next ploy will be to try to contact the Luxembourg Museum of Military History. I'll post if I get anything.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 04 Oct 2020 13:49

Hi Oldbill

I came across the following on the Polish DWS site, albeit un-referenced.

Podstawowym uzbrojeniem były karabiny Mauser 6,5mm Model 1900 (z fabryki w Oberndorfie), do tego na początku lat 30. dokupiono trochę krótkich FN Model 24/30 (chyba 7,92mm). Po wybuchu wojny dostarczono z Belgii pewną liczbę ckmów, ale ponoć na tyle późno, że nie udało się ich wdrożyć i wyszkolić żołnierzy.

(Basic equipment was the Mauser 6.5mm rifle Model 1900 (Oberndorff factory). In addition a certain number of FN 24/30 carbines (? 7.92mm) were purchased in the early 30s. After the beginning of the war, a mumber of MMGs were supplied by Belgium but, apparently, too late to put them into service or to train crews for them). The author, Pothkan, also notes that the armed forces had a few personnel cars and trucks at their disposal.
Last edited by gebhk on 05 Oct 2020 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 05 Oct 2020 12:09

Since Wiki lists BARs as a weapon that Luxembourgers had at some point in the war, it seems likely that these were the Belgian FN manufactured jobs and in the their hands in 1940 because later on in Britain, the Bren would have been the obvious SAW (which they also had according to Wiki).

OldBill

Post by OldBill » 19 Oct 2020 21:29

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies, and apologies on not getting back to you sooner. Today is the first day of multiple attempts I have made where I was actually able to log in. While my connection and computer are iffy, I dont really know WHY this has occured. I simply got "You have exceeded your maximum number of attempts to log in" and that was it. And that was on the FIRST attempt.....

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 21 Oct 2020 08:30

Full and complete answers to this question can be found in Vic Jaeger: L´armement de la Force Armée Luxemburgeoise 1881-1997, Imprimerie St. Paul SA, Luxembourg, 1997, which may be availabe second hand.

The first modern "small bore" rifle of the Lux. forces was the 6.5 mm Mauser Model 1900, of which 500 were bought in 1901, 350 for the "Volunteer Company" and 150 for the gendarmes.

The designation "Model 1900" is not usually found in literature about the Mauser rifles. Apparently this is a batch from the tail end of the production of the Model 1896 for Sweden, which may have been sold at reduced price because the Swedes had started up production themselves and didn´t want them anymore. The forward barrel band is different, to fit Turkish model bayonets (complete with star and crescent markings) purchased at the same time, again possibly surplus or a canceled order which the thrifty Luxembourgers could acquire at reduced price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 21 Oct 2020 09:14

In 1920, Luxembourg acquired 1,320 Gew 98 rifles from France (war booty and/or reparations), which seems far in excess of the needs of its small forces. In 1939/40 the Volunteers were armed with these while the gendarmes carried the model 1900.

Handguns in service included 7.65 mm FN Model 1900 pistols (190 bought in 1903) and FN Model 1910 pistols (unknown number bought in 1926), plus older Nagant revolvers in 9.4 and 7.5 mm calibres.

In 1912 three 6.5 mm Maxim machine guns were bought, apparently not so much to defend the nation against invasion but rather for "riot control". At the time, the good citizens of Luxembourg were worried about anarchist/revolutionary stirrings, particularly among Italian immigrants who came to work in the mines and the steel industry.

Apparently these guns were kept in storage in 1939/40. So were a dozen (or so) MP 28/II submachine guns (produced under licence by Pieper in Belgium) bought shortly before the invasion. The Germans found them in their original packaging.

I think that covers the subject pretty well. As a bonus, a picture of yours truly pretending to argue with a gendarme on border guard duty as they appeared in 1939/40. Model 1900 rifle with Turkish bayonet visible:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

OldBill

Post by OldBill » 21 Oct 2020 14:47

Many Thanks Knouterer! I hope you won the argument with the Gendarme!
Best Regards, Bill

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”