Did the UK guarantee Switzerland on 23 March, 1939?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Sid Guttridge

Did the UK guarantee Switzerland on 23 March, 1939?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 21 Jul 2021, 14:37

I have found an old unsourced note of mine to the effect that the UK guaranteed Switzerland on 23 March 1939.

However, on checking I can find no mention of this on the internet.

Can anyone confirm that Switzerland was among the countries guaranteed by the UK (and presumably France)?

Many thanks,

Sid.

Steve

Re: Did the UK guarantee Switzerland on 23 March, 1939?

Post by Steve » 25 Oct 2021, 03:06

After Hitler broke the Munich agreement Chamberlain thought that a declaration by Britain, France, Poland and Russia on further German aggression was a good idea. The proposal in draft form was put to the cabinet on March 20 1939 and after discussion a final form was agreed.

“We the undersigned hereby declare that inasmuch as peace and security are matters of common interest and concern, and since European peace and security may be affected by any action which constitutes a threat to any European state, we have pledged ourselves immediately to consult together if it appears that any such action is being taken”.

The proposal was immediatly communicated to the French, Poles and Russian but for various reason all were less than enthusiastic. After a meeting of the cabinet on the 22nd Chamberlain and Halifax met the French Foreign Minister Bonnet and discussed various matters. Halifax met him again on the 23rd and it would seem that Switzerland was never mentioned at either meeting. Shortly afterwards the idea of a four power declaration was dropped.

If the four power declaration had been agreed then maybe you could say that Switzerland had a semblance of a guarantee.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”