Liberian Armed Forces

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Seanus

Liberian Armed Forces

Post by Seanus » 05 Jul 2006, 07:20

I suppose this will be almost impossible to find, but does anyone have any information on the uniforms worn by the various sections of the Liberian Armed Forces, eg the Liberian Field Force?
Any help? :oops:

Animal

Post by Animal » 16 Aug 2006, 19:01

I believe I saw a picture in a book once of the Liberian army, which numbered about 800 in 1938. Unfortunately, the photo was taken from a distance, so I couldn't make out any details, but they seem to have worn a khaki drill uniform.

Billy

Post by Billy » 23 Oct 2007, 08:15

The only picture I ever saw of the Liberian Army during that era was in relation to the U.S. sending some African-American engineer unit I think it was, over to Liberia. The only picture showing the Liberians as opposed to the Americans wasn't very helpful as it only showed the Liberian soldiers in shorts and sleeveless undershirts (what the British call a vest I believe). Certainly this wasn't combat uniform but probably relaxing off-duty. The shorts did look khaki though.

Animal

Post by Animal » 23 Oct 2007, 09:06

Maybe Sean RR might be able to shed some light here. Of course I would imagine that the uniform and insignia more or less followed the US pattern.

Sean RR

Illustrations as requested

Post by Sean RR » 25 Oct 2007, 06:23

Liberian Frontier Force 1936 and army 1959
Attachments
59 lib.GIF
59 lib.GIF (10.4 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
36 libff.GIF
36 libff.GIF (8.9 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

Animal

Post by Animal » 26 Oct 2007, 03:52

Good job again Sean! I'm assuming officers wore either the EM's uniform with Sam Browne belt, or a standard officer's uniform for the period, with tunic, breeches, boots or leather or spiral puttees. Did they wear the same headdress as the men? Would the tunic have been an open jacket, or one with a stand or stand and fall collar?

As for the Krag-Jorgenson rifle in the drawing- I'm assuming the Liberians also used either the Madsen or Colt-Browning machine gun and a Colt or Browning pistol, as were used by the Danish and Norwegian armies. Unless of course the Krags were US Spanish-American War leftovers.

Also, any information on what cartridge pouches, canteens, packs, haversacks, or steel helmets(if issued) were used?

Sean RR

Uniform notes

Post by Sean RR » 26 Oct 2007, 15:28

The army of Liberia is a difficult subject. Initially it appears the Lib Frontier Force followed the patterns of the neighbouring Sierra Leone Frontier Force, hence the top illustration. At first I think it was blue then khaki drill, although I have seen a reference to 'the red shirts'. There were also a number of militia units in the country who wore white then kd. A lucky find was of a series of photos of a military parade in the 1930s. KD was worn throughout but the styles varied, shirts, shorts trousers, officers tunics, and so forth. Mausers, springfields and krag rifles. Mostly peaked caps, with or without chinstraps. Not one ammo pouch. Officers did wear open tunics with ties, and breeches without puttees. LFF officers in the late 30s looked like US officers of the same time.
I have no idea about weapons apart from the rifles mentioned, and no info on a steel helmet. The latter seesm unlikely.
Hope this helps.
If you can add to it please do.

Animal

Re: Uniform notes

Post by Animal » 29 Oct 2007, 05:23

Sean RR wrote:The army of Liberia is a difficult subject. Initially it appears the Lib Frontier Force followed the patterns of the neighbouring Sierra Leone Frontier Force, hence the top illustration. At first I think it was blue then khaki drill, although I have seen a reference to 'the red shirts'. There were also a number of militia units in the country who wore white then kd. A lucky find was of a series of photos of a military parade in the 1930s. KD was worn throughout but the styles varied, shirts, shorts trousers, officers tunics, and so forth. Mausers, springfields and krag rifles. Mostly peaked caps, with or without chinstraps. Not one ammo pouch. Officers did wear open tunics with ties, and breeches without puttees. LFF officers in the late 30s looked like US officers of the same time.
I have no idea about weapons apart from the rifles mentioned, and no info on a steel helmet. The latter seesm unlikely.
Hope this helps.
If you can add to it please do.
In other words, it was a real hotchpotch.

Billy

Post by Billy » 30 Oct 2007, 03:53

Wow!! I had been wondering about that for a long time!! Thanks Sean RR!! Every time i come on this Forum I learn something new, it's great.

Animal

Post by Animal » 02 Nov 2007, 22:19

Billy wrote:Wow!! I had been wondering about that for a long time!! Thanks Sean RR!! Every time i come on this Forum I learn something new, it's great.
Same here dude.

Loïc

Re: Liberian Armed Forces

Post by Loïc » 04 Dec 2017, 02:12

hello

Liberian Army (Frontier Force & Militia) c.1932

COMPOSITION OF THE ARMY

Militia
In peace time, the army is organised on a militia basis There are
7 infantry regiments, grouped in 2 brigades. Each regiment consists of 2 battalions with 4 companies each.

The charter of every such volunteer company contains a clause requiring the members of such company to equip themselves fully according to law, and to hold themselves ready at all times to be called out for actual service

Every volunteer company may be disbanded as soon as it is reduced below the number of forty rank and file

Frontier Force
The Liberian Frontier Force is under the direction and supervision of the Ministry of War
Citizens and natives of Liberia enlist for a term of five consecutive years , foreign officers enlist for a term of two consecutive years

The frontier force consists of three hundred men and is organised in 6 companies

RECRUITING SYSTEM AND PERIOD OF SERVICE
Military service is compulsory for all citizens from the age of 16 to 50 years
The period of service in formations organised on a military basis is twenty days in each year

EFFECTIVES
the average daily number of effectives for the land armed forces are 538 they amount to 4213 (of whom 392 officers) in the formations organised on a military basis

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”