German airmen shot down over Ireland

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Shtock

Re: German airmen shot down over Ireland

Post by Shtock » 30 Oct 2009, 02:04

quote="Jonmac"]I remember some years ago seeing a movie about an airman shot down in Ireland. Part of the dialogue went: 'Can you tell me where I am?' and the farmer and his companion looked at each other and he replied 'Have you ever heard of Balivor?'
Can anyone tell me what it was called, and if it's available to buy? It was in black and white.[/quote][/i]

The movie you are referring to was a 3 or four part series made by RTÉ called "Caught In A Free State" made in the early 1980s. I dont think it is available to buy unless you can contact RTÉ and buy it off them from their archives.

Shtock

Post by Shtock » 30 Oct 2009, 02:12

Hello everyone,

I am currently carrying out research into the life of the Allied/Axis airman interned in the Curragh during The Emergency. I have read previous postings for books that might be of use such as those by Fisk, Ryle Dwyer and Enno stephens. I was wondering if anybody had any books they might know of, that might help with my research? Any comments that might point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 30 Oct 2009, 19:34

When Goertz arrived in Ireland by silk and gravity on May 12th 1940, he landed at Ballivor, in Co. Meath...

johnattriple

Re: German escapee from Curragh Internment Camp, Ireland

Post by johnattriple » 14 Feb 2011, 17:19

Just read the post regarding your Mother's contact with a German POW. If she is still alive, I would like to discuss the possibility of talking to her about it. I am a documentary researcher representing a NI based TV media company.

John.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”