Looking for (short) biography of D.G. Pavlov

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Tomster

Looking for (short) biography of D.G. Pavlov

Post by Tomster » 20 Dec 2002 22:04

Hi, I'm looking for a short biography of D.G. Pavlov, the commander of the Special Western Military Mistrict (renamed Western Front) at the beginning of the German invasion.

haoster

Haven't seen one referenced.

Post by haoster » 22 Dec 2002 07:17

It would be a surprise to me if one existed, due to his untimely and unfortunate end. What I know of him I've managed to piece together from many sources. Have you read, for example, that he was according to one source, supposedly carousing with cronies the night before the Barbarosssa attack, and refused to believe the announcement? That he had been the loser in earlier wargames when pitted against the indomitable Zhukov? And yet Stalin left him to command the theater that represented the most direct route to Moscow? The carousing represents an extreme view; however, it appears to be well documented that any committment he had to training and supply of his troops, was overshadowed by his unwillingness to confront Stalin. In my opinion it was an unpardonable failure to neglect such; however he was made a scpegoat for the early Red Army defeats, and his death sentence was hardly deserved.

Do you think that Stalin simply kept Pavlov and his forces in place as a deterrant and to tie up the Germans until reinforcements, moving toward the border beginning in May, 1941, had time to position themselves?

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 25 Dec 2002 11:24

Pavlov
Born 1897 in Kostroma region
Participated in the first world war
In the red army since 1919 .
During Civil War: platoon commander, escadorn (cavalry formation of about 100 sabers) commander, deputy to the cavalry regiment commander.
Finished “Highest Cavalry School” in 1922., Frunze Military Academy -in 1928. Special courses in Military –Technical academy - in 1931. Participated in fight with Japanese at KVZHD, Spanish civil war, Soviet- Finnish war. From June 1940 in charge of Western Military District . In 1941 executed in 1957 rehabilitated.

http://www.shortway.to/1941/ewfram.htm

Tomster

Post by Tomster » 17 Jan 2003 23:57

Thanks for the information Oleg

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”