Dutch Warships Found

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Dutch Warships Found

Post by David C. Clarke » 08 Jan 2003, 05:08

Hi Folks, just for your information, I saw a post on another website announcing that both the light cruiser DeRuyter and ligth cruiser Java had been found by divers. They were sunk early in the war by the Japanese during the Battle of the Java Sea.
Best Regards, David

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 08 Jan 2003, 05:11

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 08 Jan 2003, 14:30

David
Interesting post. :D
I've dove on a few wrecks but never a warship. Seems that 67m would be a short dive unless lots of tanks were used and of course the required DeCom stops. Still, I guess it would be worth it. Let us know if they find the Exeter. Thanx

A :D

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 09 Jan 2003, 03:54

aufklarung wrote:David
Interesting post. :D
I've dove on a few wrecks but never a warship. Seems that 67m would be a short dive unless lots of tanks were used and of course the required DeCom stops. Still, I guess it would be worth it. Let us know if they find the Exeter. Thanx

I made quite a few dives back in the 80's but never a wreck. There was only one that I knew of outside Hawaii that was a divable wreck, a merchant ship.

67m would be a fairly deep dive though, but for a warship it is quite shallow indeed.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 09 Jan 2003, 04:47

Dan Weakley wrote:67m would be a fairly deep dive though, but for a warship it is quite shallow indeed.
True if she's upright and intact. Seems to me that depth given in dive guides are bottom depth so the upper decks can be significantly more shallow. I dove a huge freighter on her strbd side in Larnaca harbour in Cyprus. She was about 75 ft down to the port beam end but 120 to the strbd side on the bottom.

Regards

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”