How were Irish viewed internationally in WW2?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Hama

How were Irish viewed internationally in WW2?

Post by Hama » 20 Aug 2016, 16:34

I know that Ireland was a neutral state during the war, but on this article it says that "London continued to recognise Irish citizens as British subjects until the passing of the Ireland Act 1949, which recognised, as a distinct class of persons, "citizens of the Republic of Ireland" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nat ... ralisation).

Could someone explain that a bit? Does this mean that the Brits or other Allies could view Irish nationals as Allied? What about the Axis countries? Did they view Irish citisens as neutral or 'British subjects'?

Just to say I'm not asking about Irish who went to serve in some other nation's military, since that's a whole different story. I'm asking about regular Irish civilians and what were they viewed as by the two sides during the war?
Last edited by Hama on 20 Aug 2016, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hama

Re: How were Irish viewed internationally in WW2?

Post by Hama » 20 Aug 2016, 16:49

Something related that I just found. It seems the Nazis didn't care much about the neutral nationality of these Irish civilians: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/iri ... 42912.html

Ian Mc

Post by Ian Mc » 07 Mar 2017, 02:29

The Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 recognised Ireland as a sovereign independent state, well to 26 out of Ireland's 32 counties. This was known as the Irish Free State or Éire. It was nominally a Dominion of the British Empire and a member of the Commonwealth. The other 6 counties form Northern Ireland, which is still part of the UK today.

In 1948 Éire was declared a Republic and in 1949 the British formally accepted this and all ties were severed.

I'm sure the article above about Irish merchant seamen refers to Irishmen serving on allied merchant ships, most likely in the British merchant navy.

Ian

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 07 Mar 2017, 02:59

Hama wrote:I know that Ireland was a neutral state during the war, but on this article it says that "London continued to recognise Irish citizens as British subjects until the passing of the Ireland Act 1949, which recognised, as a distinct class of persons, "citizens of the Republic of Ireland" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nat ... ralisation).

Could someone explain that a bit? Does this mean that the Brits or other Allies could view Irish nationals as Allied? What about the Axis countries? Did they view Irish citizens as neutral or 'British subjects'?

Just to say I'm not asking about Irish who went to serve in some other nation's military, since that's a whole different story. I'm asking about regular Irish civilians and what were they viewed as by the two sides during the war?
One implication was that Irishmen could work in the UK and serve in Britain's Armed Forces as if they were British nationals. (and still can and do.) Somewhere between 46,000 and 66,000 volunteered, 8,000 as officers.
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books ... -1.1846436
The Germans didn't seem to distinguish between one type of Briton and another.

Churchill wanted to form an "Irish Division" for the political value. There was an Irish Brigade - 38 Brigade of 78th Division, but this was really two battalions from Northern Ireland and the London Irish and did not attract as many freestaters. The Brigade fought with distinction in Tunisia and Italy. The leave train to Rome was decorated with the Union Flag and the tricolour. They had an audience with the Pope - though it was mainly the proddies that met their antichrist. The feenians mostly went on the lash. (From the history of the 78th Division)

One under acknowledged contribution was the labour for the huge construction programmes in the UK - the airfields for the RAF and USAAF; barracks and hospitals; pipelines, and Mulberry harbour. "Macalpine's fusiliers" were the British equivalent of the organisation Todt.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”