Need some information on SIG arms manufacturer

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Hama

Need some information on SIG arms manufacturer

Post by Hama » 30 Mar 2017, 16:27

I was hoping someone could give me a bit of info on the Swiss company SIG in relation to their arms manufacturing during the inter-war to WW2 years?

1) I'm a bit confused when it comes to names for this company, I've seen Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft, SIG Sauer, and SIG Holding AG all used when trying to look up the 'SIG' company. Could anyone briefly (if possible) explain to me the differences in these names and what the arms manufacturer would have been known as during the inter-war years?

2) What was SIGs stance after the outbreak of WW2 in Europe? Did they continue exporting firearms to different belligerents, or lean more towards one side or the other? Were arms sales halted to any nations as a result of their position in WW2?

3) I noticed in the book Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49 by Philip Jowett that some troops of the Mengjiang armed forces used what Jowett calls the "SIG Model 1930" submachinegun. Would this have been the SIG MKMO, or another weapon?
Here's a copy of an illustration from the book if it helps clarify: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 8395f6.jpg
It's the guy on the left in blue that Jowett said had the "SIG Model 1930."

4) Wikipedia says the "O" in the SIG MKMO's name means Oben ("top ejection"). I'm not that familiar with this weapon, can anyone confirm if it is indeed a top-ejector and where on the receiver the ejection port is located? I'm assuming directly in line with the magazine?

Dr Eisvogel

Re: Need some information on SIG arms manufacturer

Post by Dr Eisvogel » 01 Apr 2017, 14:33

Hama wrote:I was hoping someone could give me a bit of info on the Swiss company SIG in relation to their arms manufacturing during the inter-war to WW2 years?

1) I'm a bit confused when it comes to names for this company, I've seen Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft, SIG Sauer, and SIG Holding AG all used when trying to look up the 'SIG' company. Could anyone briefly (if possible) explain to me the differences in these names and what the arms manufacturer would have been known as during the inter-war years?

2) What was SIGs stance after the outbreak of WW2 in Europe? Did they continue exporting firearms to different belligerents, or lean more towards one side or the other? Were arms sales halted to any nations as a result of their position in WW2?
Dear Hama,

regarding your 1. question:

Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft (SIG) started to produce weapons in 1864.

SIG entered in a partnership with J. P. Sauer & Sohn only in 1970-ies.

SIGARMS Inc. is the name used from January 1985.

Source: The web-site of SIG Sauer https://www.sigsauer.com/company/history/

Regarding your 2. question:

I believe they continued to export firearms to different belligerents, but after the fall of France in 1940, they have probably exported more to the Axis side.

For example, Oerlikon, another Swiss weapons producer was selling licences to produce its canons to Britain even after the fall of France in 1940. No doubt they were also selling to the Tripartite Pact customers (Germany, Italy, Japan etc.).

Best regards,
Eisvogel

Hama

Post by Hama » 01 Apr 2017, 17:56

Thanks for the information. Regarding sales, I definitely know they were exporting to Japan during the inter-war era, and I've seen evidence of some of their small arms being used in China during the warlord/civil war era. Not sure if those sales would have been able to continue once war in Europe broke out...

Regarding questions 3 and 4 I managed to mind the answers since posting.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 01 Apr 2017, 18:04

Hama wrote:Regarding questions 3 and 4 I managed to mind the answers since posting.
Please post them here to help others looking for the same information.

Hama

Post by Hama » 01 Apr 2017, 19:26

Question 3: the gun is not an MKMO, but a Maschinenkarabiner SIG Modell 1930 by Gaetzi und End, in 9mm parabellum.

Question 4: The 'O' ('oben') does indeed indicate top-ejection on the MKMO.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”