Small question about Egyptian military 1920s-30s

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Hama

Small question about Egyptian military 1920s-30s

Post by Hama » 27 Dec 2017 00:18

I know virtually nothing about Egypt during this period so sorry in advance for any ignorance, but I was just curious did the Egyptian military of the interwar period enlist non-Muslim troops (e.g. Copts) in its ranks? If so, were non-Muslim soldiers segregated into separate units or mixed in with Muslim troops? Could they achieve officer status during this period or were they confined to enlisted ranks?

Loïc

Re: Small question about Egyptian military 1920s-30s

Post by Loïc » 30 Dec 2017 23:00

hello

there were copts soldiers in the modern Egyptian Army of the late XIXth century early XXth, allowed to be drafted since 1857, the small Military Administration School is reported to have usually copts cadets
so I assume they were still in the Army few decades later, the recruitment concerning all the Egyptians no regarding their faith, but the christians were only a very small minority (~6 % c.1914-1918) not enough to have a whole battalion, especially with the size of the Egyptian Army of the Interwars limited and small in comparison to the XIXth century

historically the modern Egyptian Army had many non-egyptians and non-muslims beginning by the French Italians officers and others foreigners replaced by British mainly/only after 1882, with the Sudan there were also black sudanese Battalions and Squadrons,
a non-muslim Equatorial Battalion was recruited from what is today the christian and animist Southern Sudan (independant State since 2011)

Regards
Loïc

Hama

Post by Hama » 31 Dec 2017 13:04

That's interesting, thanks for your reply. Regarding Sudanese troops I had assumed they were under British (rather than Egyptian) military control since in the 1920s-30s Britain had practical authority in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan Condominium, but I could be completely wrong. So did these "Equatorial" troops continue to be used by the Egyptian military in the interwar period?

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 31 Dec 2017 18:12

As you see after november 1924 the British imposed the withdrawal of the purely Egyptian Battalions and also the Egyptian officers of the Sudanese Battalions,

The Equatorial Corps of the christian/animist Southern Sudan, raised locally under british officers, remained only as part of the newly-raised Sudan Defense Force, as the Egyptian Army and King lost the authority over the Sudanese units
Last edited by Loïc on 31 Dec 2017 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Hama

Post by Hama » 31 Dec 2017 18:21

Thanks for explaining it. Do you know if that Sudan Defence Force had local animist or Christian officers?

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”