Yemen in ww2?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
tom2000d

Yemen in ww2?

Post by tom2000d » 24 Feb 2018 23:57

Hi all, I have been doing research on various neutral states recently but cannot find any information on Yemen except that 500 yemeni sodliers served with the 2,500 strong Italian Gruppo Bande Amhara in 1941. Any information on its armed forces or any other collaboration/mercenaries? Regards, Tom.

Yemenis in Italian Irregulars
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N4T ... ni&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bands_(It ... nde_Amhara

South
Financial supporter

Re: Yemen in ww2?

Post by South » 25 Feb 2018 11:08

Good morning Tom 2000 d,

I'd recommend a different approach rather than calling WWII Yemen a neutral for your baseline. Yemen was one of the "tribes with flags"; that is, the specific national territory with a national security establishment was extremely fluid and contested.

The area was important because Aden was was on the India-Europe sea route re the Suez Canal (1869,1975). Glance at what the Brits had in Aden in WWII for a baseline. I'm really suggesting treating the area like the WWII South American and Caribbean "banana republics". Actual forces were typically external to the local populations.

Re "or any other collaboration / mercenaries?";

The 1934 Treaty of Sana between the British and Iman Yahya (future king of Saudi Arabia) was "proposed" to last for 40 years....obviously covering WWII. I mention this treaty because it establishes the dispute as to what constitutes "Yemen". Again, the area of concern was - Aden - .

After the Ottoman WWI withdrawal, Yahya created an army. It had 2 sections: the Al Jaysh Difai, a militia, and the Al Jaysh al Nizami, a regular army. The regular army was commanded by a Syrian with a force of about 17,000. Service was lifetime. There was a conscription program for use when the volunteers were too few but I have no notes on the program.

He also had 2 irregular groups:

- the volunteer Army: Al Jaysh al Barrani, northern highlanders who served without pay and could return home whenever they wished.
- the Sawaris ceremonial cavalry.

Most of my material comes from:

Area Handbook for the Yemens, 1977, prepared by the Foreign Area Studies unit of American University, Washington, D.C. originally by contract for the US Army.

This volume and the others do not qualify as "gospel". "Mistakes" can be found throughout the series.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

tom2000d

Re: Yemen in ww2?

Post by tom2000d » 25 Feb 2018 16:24

Great info, thanks very much.
Tom.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”