1938 Czech border units

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Leo Niehorster

1938 Czech border units

Post by Leo Niehorster » 20 Mar 2018, 12:52

Greetings,
Could someone please explain the difference between
  Hraničářský
  Hraniční

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Pavel Novak

Re: 1938 Czech border units

Post by Pavel Novak » 20 Mar 2018, 16:39

My opinion is this:

The word "hraniční" (adjective) is directly connected with basic word "hranice" (noun) i.e. "hraniční jednotka" = border unit - the meaning is that such unit will be deployed for border protection (note that actual military reality can be different but this is what that word means).

Now word "hraničářský" is in its meaning slightly different: "hraničářská jednotka" = unit which belongs to formation/assembly which is responsible for border protection. The unit itself doesn't have to be used in border protection at all like logistical unit in rear.

Example:
"Hraničářský pluk" (border regiment) is subordinated to "hraniční oblast" (border area).

Note that "hraničářský" vs "hraničářská" is inflection in the czech language.

This is how I understant it.

If you want to be confused more the czech language also knows word "pohraniční" (adjective) presented by the army shortly before Munich for planned renaming and renumbering because the army thought that its naming system is too easy to be understand by the enemy.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 20 Mar 2018, 18:56

Hi Guys,

If I remember rightly, a number of Czech border guards were kidnapped and taken over the border into Germany in September 1938. None were returned. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Sid.

Pavel Novak

Post by Pavel Novak » 20 Mar 2018, 20:56

If I remember that correctly there were around 2 000 Czechoslovak citizens captured by Germans also from Czechoslovak free harbour territories in Germany (in Hamburg and in Stettin). Most of them were released after Munich took in effect. The exception were citizens of German nationality who were against Nazis. To my knowledge most of them were killed especially the ones serving in security forces.

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 21 Mar 2018, 10:19

Thank you, Pavel.

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”