Belgian Railway Workers' Strike

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Keir

Belgian Railway Workers' Strike

Post by Keir » 28 Mar 2018, 23:33

I'm reading Korda's excellent Alone at the moment and am baffled by his repeated descriptions of the defence of Belgium constantly being stymied due to Belgian railway workers being on strike. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could go on strike and refuse to help the war effort at a time when national existence is whittling away hour by hour. Can anyone tell me what on earth their problem was?

Dili

Re: Belgian Railway Workers' Strike

Post by Dili » 29 Mar 2018, 03:40

I don't know if it is related in this particular case but Soviet Union was at side of Nazis at that time.

"Pacifist" articles in Communist affiliated papers and accusations that the war against Nazis was imperialist and for capitalist profits were the narrative from that side. With their influence on Unions i will not be surprised.

Of course everything changed 22 June 1941. Until then the WW2 was warmongering from Britain and USA.

An American example: a Pete Seeger "pacifist" album retired from market after Nazi attack on Soviet Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_for_John_Doe

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 29 Mar 2018, 14:21

Keir wrote:I'm reading Korda's excellent Alone at the moment and am baffled by his repeated descriptions of the defence of Belgium constantly being stymied due to Belgian railway workers being on strike. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could go on strike and refuse to help the war effort at a time when national existence is whittling away hour by hour. Can anyone tell me what on earth their problem was?

About what railway strike are you talking ?

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 29 Mar 2018, 14:55

Alone : excellent ? It is riddled with historical inaccuracies;after reading the publicity for the book on Amazon, one knows enough .

Keir

Post by Keir » 30 Mar 2018, 21:53

ljadw wrote:Alone : excellent ? It is riddled with historical inaccuracies;after reading the publicity for the book on Amazon, one knows enough .
Well, I noticed a couple of minor faux pas, but I'm reading the advance copy. Haven't come across anything significantly troublesome.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”