Novi Sad, Yugoslavia massacre

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
South
Financial supporter

Novi Sad, Yugoslavia massacre

Post by South » 23 Jan 2019 22:45

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article ... 01-22-2019

Good afternoon all,

Article per ...

Am asking for some assistance / clarification; What is the difference between "Hungarian police" and "Gendarmerie forces" as per the article ?

Note mention of "Republic of Uzice". I had to check this. It was a town about 65 miles southeast of Sarajevo.

As soon as I read the book title "My Beautiful Life in Hell" .........

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

MarkN

Re: Novi Sad, Yugoslavia massacre

Post by MarkN » 24 Jan 2019 00:18

South wrote:
23 Jan 2019 22:45
Am asking for some assistance / clarification; What is the difference between "Hungarian police" and "Gendarmerie forces" as per the article ?
Firstly you need to determine whether there were two distinct and separate forces involved or whether it is a language error by the writer or translator. It could be either. I suggest you contact the author for clarification.

South
Financial supporter

Post by South » 24 Jan 2019 12:20

Good morning Mark,

Appreciate reply.

That is what I was actually asking: the history question; whether there were 2 specific organizations present.

Gendarmerie was not a standardized term.

I believe traditionally the term meant a military organization with civil police powers. From the Great War onward, the nations blended so much that meanings get lost unless knowing the actual history.

I can guess that many jurisdictions "deputized" military members when the need arose, such as in after-action reports.

As an aside, since the noun is French, isn't France's GIGN a Gendarmerie and they were assigned by invitation to enter the holy city of Mecca when barbarians seized the Grand Mosque circa 1975 ?

"Sixty years ago I knew everything; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
WILL DURANT, American historian

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 24 Jan 2019 15:23

Every state decides how to conduct the various law enforcement function within their borders. Almost all states have a range of agencies performing various law enforcement tasks rather than just having one organization which does everything. Many states over the years decided to give the name Gendarmerie (various spellings) to one of those agencies. Often it is seen as a more military version of the police, but does not have to be. Sometimes the name has nothing to do with the word Gendarmerie: e.g. Carabinieri in Italy. Often these are termed as gendarmerie forces.

In 1942, Novi Sad and the wider Backa region was occupied/annexed by the State of Hungary. The Novosadska racija (Újvidéki vérengzés) was conducted jointly by the Hungarian military, the Hungarian police and local sympathetic elements. I doubt one could/should narrow the perpetrators of the event to just 2 organisations; it was a state-level, systematic attempt to ethnically cleanse territory to the benefit of the local Hungarians.

I don't know enough about Hungarian law inforcement agencies to say whether a 'Gendarmerie' unit by actual name was involved or by translation or by description. The Yugoslavs had a formal unit whose name was Žandamerija - which is the Serbo-Croat spelling for Gendarmerie. Serbia has reintroduced the name and it still exists today.

South
Financial supporter

Post by South » 24 Jan 2019 17:31

Good afternoon Mark,

Appreciate info.

Concur; it was state-level and systematic thus, way too broad to narrow down the perpetrators.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 Jan 2019 04:07

Gendarmerie (Csendőrség) and Police (Rendőrség) were two separate forces.
Some info about Novi Sad massacre, list of accused Hungarian Army and Gendarmerie officers from December 1943 trial in Budapest and more on this Forum: Hungarian State/Civilian Police 1919-45, Royal Hungarian Police (Magyar Királyi Rendőrség) uniform
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

South
Financial supporter

Post by South » 25 Jan 2019 06:33

Good morning Greg,

Appreciate contribution to thread.

Later will glance at link.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”