The Greek Partisan Navy

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
PT Dockyard

The Greek Partisan Navy

Post by PT Dockyard » 13 Jul 2019, 02:05

I found a nice little site on the activities of the small boats operated by the Greek Partisans:

http://sitoaurora.altervista.org/?p=1186

Does anyone have a list of craft, details on armament and pictures of any of the boats the Greek Partisans used?

Thanks,
Dave

DrG

Re: The Greek Partisan Navy

Post by DrG » 13 Jul 2019, 17:08

The Italian page found by PT Dockyard has a link to its original source, which is in English language: http://www.soviet-empire.com/ussr/viewt ... 49&t=54980

lupodimare89

Re: The Greek Partisan Navy

Post by lupodimare89 » 27 Jul 2019, 11:08

As a little comment, the "sitoaurora" is unrelated to "soviet-empire": english-to-italian translation has some small mistakes here and there.

Bulk of data came out from a couple of Greek articles and a russian page all floating in the web.
I should stress that's a big "obscure page" of naval WW2 warfare i would further research. An interesting point it's the biggest naval clash between German and Greek (ELAN) partisans is 25 September 1944: while Greek sources indicate a clash with bigger German warships, actually the German apparently lost an auxiliary patrol boat. Either sunk or even captured (this means a conflict of sources, if the mainstream Greek version doesn't mention the capture). I will write more in details when i gather extra info.

PS: I should stress we are also speaking of the communist ELAN/ELAS partisan. There were other not-communist partisan Greek groups but i have no idea if they made their own flotillas.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”