Propaganda leaflet that was dropped into German territory by plane towards the end of the war.

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Heartfeltzero

Propaganda leaflet that was dropped into German territory by plane towards the end of the war.

Post by Heartfeltzero » 17 Aug 2022, 01:42

This is a leaflet that was dropped in German Territory by plane towards the end of the war. It was dropped by the Psychological Warfare Division(PWD) with the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force(SHAEF).
769C17B4-B7B5-40B6-B352-991BDAE2697C.jpeg
A rough translation is-

The front of the leaflet reads:
"COLLAPSE!
Strong allied units have crossed the Rhine.The last natural line of defense in the west is lost. The war is about to end. Allied supremacy is greater than ever before. Resistance is no longer an honest fight but a massacre that has lost its meaning. CALL IT QUITS!"
D9FD9822-A620-4315-8547-E93CCB8B62E7.jpeg
The back of the leaflet reads:
"RESCUE!
1. YOU CAN SURRENDER YOURSELF by raising your hands, approaching the Allies and shouting out to them, "Ei sörrender! "(I surrender). Make it very clear that you are giving up: helmet down, belt too. Waving a handkerchief or even Leaflet.

2. IF YOU CANNOT DO THAT, THEN wait until the attack has reached you. Or stay behind when the others are withdrawn. Caution: Make it clear that you are leaving the fight. Fanatics who fight on despite the hopeless situation are lost.

3. IF YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT, do everything in your power to leave the combat zone. We want to save your life. But anyone who continues to fight cannot be spared. If you are a civilian, then report to the authorities immediately after the Allies arrive."

ROLAND1369

Re: Propaganda leaflet that was dropped into German territory by plane towards the end of the war.

Post by ROLAND1369 » 21 Aug 2022, 04:53

My father flew B 24s in combat over Germany. They had a low opinion of leaflets and their dropping them. They called the leaflets "NICKLE BOMBS".

Heartfeltzero

Re: Propaganda leaflet that was dropped into German territory by plane towards the end of the war.

Post by Heartfeltzero » 21 Aug 2022, 05:02

ROLAND1369 wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 04:53
My father flew B 24s in combat over Germany. They had a low opinion of leaflets and their dropping them. They called the leaflets "NICKLE BOMBS".
I’ve never heard that before. Very interesting. I have heard them called “toilet paper for the enemy “.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 28 Aug 2022, 09:24

Is there any hard evidence for the effectiveness (or otherwise!) of 'leafletting offensives'? A lot of effort and scarce resources were pumped into these efforts by all sides throughout WW2 yet they seem to have left virtually no historical imprint other than as amusing curios to illustrate text and a byword for ineffectual activity (eg RAF dropping leaflets instead of bombs on Germany in 1939).

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”