Greek use of Thompson M1928

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Ardee

Greek use of Thompson M1928

Post by Ardee » 18 Jun 2023 03:17

I've seen illustrations of Greek soldiers of the Greco-Italian War armed with the Thompson. I've found photos of Greek reenactors using them (no actual photo from time showing it in Greek use). And the amount of info I've found would have trouble covering the the bottom of a sewing thimble.

I'm in a rural areawith relatively few library sources about minor WW2 powers, and my book budget's limited. Online searching has found the same sentence in several places, repeated word for word: "The submachine gun was the M1928 Thompson and supplied to Greece by the UK after the Italian invasion." A wiki-type page suggested that during WW2 the Thonpson was used chiefly by military police and similiar type units (whatever that may mean), and that the USA also supplied some. That's it.

Obviously, "after the Italian Invasion" covers lots of ground. Does anybody have info on when and how many? Both sides of the Greek Civil War used them, Resistance fighters against the Germans used them, but what about the army of the Greco-Italian War?

If any can help, I'd appreciate it.

xristar

Re: Greek use of Thompson M1928

Post by xristar » 19 Aug 2023 11:28

I believe the Greek Army received a batch of somewhat fewer than 1000 Thomson during the Greco-Italian war from the UK. This was the result of a misunderstanding as the Greek Army was requesting light machineguns but the term was mistranslated. I don't know how they were used

Ardee

Post by Ardee » 20 Sep 2023 23:09

Belated thanks for the reply. Every little bit of info helps.

KonTim

Post by KonTim » 01 Nov 2023 00:37

Greek army received a small number o M1928 Thompson submachine guns for the equipment of the forces of the fortresses of "Metaxas Line". AFAIK 5.500 of these were been promised by the US after personal request of Greek General Marshall Al.Papagos. However only a small number was been delivered till the time of German invasion.

Ardee

Post by Ardee » 06 Nov 2023 00:51

Thank you.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”