The Vatikan during WWII!?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Whisper

The Vatikan during WWII!?

Post by Whisper » 02 Sep 2003, 15:21

Hello to everyone,

not so long ago there was a topic dealing with chaplains in the Wehrmacht/ W-SS. It left me with the question about the the Vatikans role during WWII, especially when it comes to the Holocaust.
It seems to me that the Vatikan and Pope Pius XII, have been following a policy of absolut neutrality throug the whole war, but shouldnt it have been the Vatikans responsibility to raise its voice after they got to know about the atrocities commited by germans. Why didnt they take side against Nazi-Germany? I know Nazi-Germany and the Vatikan signed a treaty which guaranteed the churchs rights, in turn demanding the churchs neutrality in political questions. But murder isnt a political question, and Hitler allready broke this treaty, trying to bring the church to line.
Im not religios in any way, but in my eyes the Pope is very powerfull, and one word from his side would maybe have woke up many people.
So what was it? Really the neutrality of church, or maybe a kind of support?

regards
Dennis

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”