who was the best Allied general?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
ULTRA

who was the best Allied general?

Post by ULTRA » 09 Nov 2003 12:23

i've always looked at Patton as overrated, Monty seems to be the only one other than him that gets mentioned in this argument.

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 09 Nov 2003 19:49

Search for more topics of your kind on the forum, you'll find plenty much opinions on the subject.
best,

AHLF.

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 10 Nov 2003 00:44

It's tough to choose just one but the one I can think of first are:

-Anders
-Zhukov
-Rokossovsky
-Bradley

Regards

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 10 Nov 2003 00:50

Benoit Douville wrote:It's tough to choose just one but the one I can think of first are:

-Anders
-Zhukov
-Rokossovsky
-Bradley

Regards

Anders????????????? Anders never command a Front size unit -basically he is not in the same weight category.

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 10 Nov 2003 02:03

The Polish General Wladyslaw Anders Commanded the Novogrodek Calvary Brigade. His cavalry fought at Lidzbark but withdrew from the overwhelming German attack in the Polish Campaign in 1939.

He was amazing in Monte Cassino in 1944 when he commanded the Polish Socond Polish Corps. So he is one of the best!

Regards

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 10 Nov 2003 02:10

Benoit Douville wrote:The Polish General Wladyslaw Anders Commanded the Novogrodek Calvary Brigade. His cavalry fought at Lidzbark but withdrew from the overwhelming German attack in the Polish Campaign in 1939.

He was amazing in Monte Cassino in 1944 when he commanded the Polish Socond Polish Corps. So he is one of the best!

Regards
yes his brigade was eventually badly bitten by RKKA and as good as he was (provided that he was any good) why would you comapre a corps commader to Generals who commnded several Fronts simuteneously ????????? It is like comapring comapny CO to that of the Brigade. The are simply not in the same category.

Unteroffizier_Tyler

Best allied commander

Post by Unteroffizier_Tyler » 02 Dec 2003 01:27

THe best mustve been Ike or Zhukov. I dont believe monty was much better than the army slop they gave the soldiers. The british didnt do a whole lot after D-Day. They loafed their way all the way to the Elbe. Im sure they were good soldiers and were probably sick of the war but if their commanders wouldve committed them more things might be alittle different.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » 02 Dec 2003 09:33

THe best mustve been Ike or Zhukov. I dont believe monty was much better than the army slop they gave the soldiers. The british didnt do a whole lot after D-Day. They loafed their way all the way to the Elbe. Im sure they were good soldiers and were probably sick of the war but if their commanders wouldve committed them more things might be alittle different.

Lol more Monty Bashing, just never stops. Explain to us then how the British CW forces loafed their way to the Elbe and how the commanders didn't commit their troops ?

As for the best general I would go with Zhukov
Last edited by Breeze on 02 Dec 2003 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence Tandy

Re: Best allied commander

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 02 Dec 2003 10:06

Unteroffizier_Tyler wrote:THe best mustve been Ike or Zhukov. I dont believe monty was much better than the army slop they gave the soldiers. The british didnt do a whole lot after D-Day. They loafed their way all the way to the Elbe. Im sure they were good soldiers and were probably sick of the war but if their commanders wouldve committed them more things might be alittle different.

The 10 weeks of the Normandy Campaign cost Canadians more than 18000 casualties, 5000 + dead.
I don't know other British and Commonwealth casualties off hand but they were substantial.
To say that they loafed after D-Day is a grave insult.

Breeze

Post by Breeze » 02 Dec 2003 11:49

Yeah the 3rd Canadian Division had the heaviest losses in the entire 21st Army Group, and didn't arrive in Normandy until the 7th July, 1944. The British 3rd and 51st Highland Divisions who suffered the highest casualties, both landed on D-Day.
21st Army Group suffered 83, 045 casualties

Sorry if this is off topic

Alexander

Post by Alexander » 04 Dec 2003 22:26

Eisenhower was a good strategist.

genstab

Anders?

Post by genstab » 09 Dec 2003 23:34

Benoit Douville wrote:The Polish General Wladyslaw Anders Commanded the Novogrodek Calvary Brigade. His cavalry fought at Lidzbark but withdrew from the overwhelming German attack in the Polish Campaign in 1939.

Regards

Genstab: Anders? I'd say Juin,commander of the French Expiditionary Corps of mountain troops that broke through at Cassino was at least as good. What's more, he was the last Marshal of France (1952-67).
As far as the British, Monty was way overrated. He was built up by publicity somewhat as Rommel was (though Rommel was far more skillful a general) because the Brits needed a winner. My vote is for William Slim, whose bad fortune it was to fight in a theater out of the limelight.
With the Russians I'd have to say Zhukov- he was a butcher but also a winner. The Americans is a tough one- Patton was a real go getter and the only one the Germans were scared of- our best Army commander. Bradley was careful and methodical- a good army group commander but not a standout. Ike should have more credit- he was a a pretty smart boy. He graduated tops from Command & General Staff School and was a very good strategist. I think the best corps commanders were Lightning Joe Collins and Matt Ridgeway.

ABTOMAT MACTEP

Rokossovskiy

Post by ABTOMAT MACTEP » 10 Dec 2003 00:59

BEST OF THE BEST

Rokossovskiy

TheMadcap

Post by TheMadcap » 11 Dec 2003 23:41

I'm going with Patton, and Monty was also pretty good, though a little slow with his attacks.

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 14 Dec 2003 12:00

I'd say Konstantin Rokossovsky, "Ike" Eisenhower and Omar Bradley.

Regards, von k.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”