Who was Moe Berg of OSS

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Simon Gunson

Who was Moe Berg of OSS

Post by Simon Gunson » 05 May 2004, 02:23

I understand that Moe Berg was a baseball player and linguist recruited by Roosevelt as a personal emmisary to Nazi Germany. He was appointed to the OSS and landed twice behind German lines in Italy by an Italian submarine Ammeraglio Cagni which visited Portland Maine in late 1943 or early 1944.

His job was to negotiate with the SS the secret capitulation of Germany to the west in return for a grand alliance against the Soviet Union. Anyway that is my understanding. Please can others fill in the bio and details ?

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 06 May 2004, 13:42

Hello!
Morris "Moe" Berg had graduated Phi Beta Kappa (Dunno what that means besides the Greek P B K) from Priceton and spoke Japanese, French, Italian, German and Russian, qualities which were a dime a dozen in his profession as a catcher on the Boston Red Sox Baseball team. He was the son of a Newark, New Jersey pharmacist, who was a Jewish immigrant along with his wife too. He agreed to act as an undercover agent for te US government when leavng for a short-time assignment as a lecturer at the Universty of Tokyo in February 1939.
I got my infor from Top Secret Tales of World War II by William B. Breuer, you can find out more from that book, pp42 and 43.
Cheers

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”