The Names of the Best/Successful German Spies

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Focke-Wulf23

The Names of the Best/Successful German Spies

Post by Focke-Wulf23 » 31 Jul 2004, 15:51

i was wondering if anyone new the names of some of the most best/successful german spies or spies for germany?

thanks

Joel

Post by Joel » 04 Aug 2004, 12:20

HI there!

I don't realy now much of german spies. but perhaps u find the next link interessting. It's about Britisch-German deal.
It's very interesting to read I think.

the first part of the page is in dutch, but when u scroll down, u can find it in englisch

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/doofpot.nl/D5_Englandspiel.htm

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 05 Aug 2004, 16:41

Erich Gimpel was the spy landed by U-boat who discovered the extent of progress of the Manhattan Project and informed Berlin over Christmas 1944.
He was assisted by an American turncoat, Colepugh, who eventually betrayed him. Arrested in Times Square on New Year's Eve 1944, he was tried and condemned to death. Three days before the execution, President Roosvelt died and Gimpel benefited from the amnesty granted prisoners on death row. He was released from Leavenworth in 1955 and wrote a book "Spion fuer Deutschland" published the same year.

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 06 Aug 2004, 03:33

ohrdruf wrote:Erich Gimpel was the spy landed by U-boat who discovered the extent of progress of the Manhattan Project and informed Berlin over Christmas 1944.
That was his mission, as well as monitor naval traffic in New York Harbor...he failed both assignments. They landed in Maine with $60,000. Colepaugh began to use the money to have a wild time in NYC. From the time Gimpel and Colepaugh landed in Maine until Gimpel's arrest in Times Square was 33 days.

Petterson

Post by Petterson » 06 Aug 2004, 07:36

bonzen wrote:
ohrdruf wrote:Erich Gimpel was the spy landed by U-boat who discovered the extent of progress of the Manhattan Project and informed Berlin over Christmas 1944.
That was his mission, as well as monitor naval traffic in New York Harbor...he failed both assignments. They landed in Maine with $60,000. Colepaugh began to use the money to have a wild time in NYC. From the time Gimpel and Colepaugh landed in Maine until Gimpel's arrest in Times Square was 33 days.
Was this Erich Gimpel SD or Abwehr agent?

Focke-Wulf23

Post by Focke-Wulf23 » 06 Aug 2004, 09:24

cheers all

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 06 Aug 2004, 15:34

Petterson and Bonzen

According to his book, and I repeat, According to his book, Gimpel obtained information from an indicated source in the United States that three A-bombs were close to completion but that a problem designing a satisfactory fuse was causing a major delay. He was thus successful in this, the major aspect of the mission.

Gimpel was a radio engineer recruited in 1935 and sent as a sleeper to Peru. In the early months of the war he monitored coastal traffic along that coast. In early 1941 he was arrested by Peruvian intelligence and expelled aboard a US ship. He was interrogated by US Intelligence and offered the opportunity to turn, which he declined. On his return to Germany he was retrained by the Abwehr but became SS in 1942 when the espionage network came completely under SS control.

Two interesting operations before his mission to the United States were:
(1) he took part in the planning for Operation Pelikan in October 1943 in which two dismantled Stukas were to be unloaded from two U-boats on a remote Caribbean beach to attack the Panama Canal. The target was to have been the overflow weir. The attack was called off at the last moment.
(2) Gimpel described a shoot-out at Ryukan in Norway, the heavy water plant, with an Allied spy in which the latter was killed.

Ohrdruf

Jon G.

Post by Jon G. » 07 Aug 2004, 02:24

One spy for Nazi Germany was the British ambassador to Ankara's chamberlain, working under the codename Cicero. He was not a Nazi by conviction or a spy by training - he was in it strictly for the money. He sold the Germans the minutes from the 1943 Casablanca conference, in which the call for unconditional German surrender was laid down. The Abwehr paid him off partially with forged money!

I don't have my Abwehr book with me just now, but IIRC Cicero was caught in 1944.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 07 Aug 2004, 05:59

I can´t remember where but I did read that the actor Errol Flinn was a nazi spy... someone know about this?

adalberto

Re: spies for germany

Post by adalberto » 07 Sep 2010, 03:39

Hello Gentlemen,
Erich Gimpel died in São Paulo, Brazil last week (03/09/2010) with the age of 100 years and 6 months. 8O
I don´t have now in my hands the obituary, asap I will place here a scan of the note of death.
Cheers

tatner

Re: The Names of the Best/Successful German Spies

Post by tatner » 09 Sep 2010, 02:37

Here is a link to one of the coordinators of spy rings in the US. Dr. Herbert Scholz worked for the German embassy in Washington and later was German Consul in Boston until kicked out after Pearl Harbor.

Link at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=165588

and at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=166025

I am still interested in what happened to Scholz who eventually was assigned to the Hungarian Embassy and captured by the Allies in 1946 in hiding. I would like to know what happened to him after capture and after release, when he died (German Ancestory ?).

Anyone with access to the German records may be able to provide some additional information on what happened to him. Anyone doing research at NARA at College Park, Maryland or at the German records in Berlin could be of great assistance.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 14 Sep 2010, 03:30

-I remember something about a Nazi spy that was friends with Himmler. He was sent to Hawaii by Himmler and was arrested by the United States after Pearl Harbor. He spent the duration of WW2 interned in US custody and I think he was even scheduled for execution at some point, but for one reason or another it never happened. His name elludes me as I either read it somewhere years ago or watched something about it on the History Channel. Does anyone out there no the man that I am talking about?

Pitino

tatner

Post by tatner » 31 Jan 2011, 05:52

I believe the spy you are refering to was Bernard Kuehn (Kuhn) and his family. A daughter was reported to have been a mistriss of Himmler at age 17. The family lived in Hawaii and was caught at the outbreak of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Some sources:
David Wallechinsky & Irving Wallace, The People's Almanac "Pearl Harbor and the Japanese Spy Family" © 1975 - 1981

Read more at Suite101: Japan's Attack on Pearl Harbor Aided by Germans!: German Spies Helped Japan Attack U.S. Forces on December 7, 1941

http://www.suite101.com/content/japans- ... z1Ca6WTTLS

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 31 Jan 2011, 12:13

I didn't realise Gimple had lived so long, amazing! I am sure in his book he said he was half minded to shoot Colepaugh after the landing by U Boat in Maine. I wonder if he'd have done better if he had done so?

The most successful spies names will never be known, surely? :D

Dave Bender

most successful spies names will never be known

Post by Dave Bender » 31 Jan 2011, 19:04

I agree.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”