SHAEF Daily Intelligence Digest

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Tom from Cornwall

SHAEF Daily Intelligence Digest

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 03 Jun 2015, 22:06

Apparently SHAEF G-2 produced a Daily Intelligence Digest based on Special Signal Intelligence that they sent to the Army Groups and back to Bletchley Park and the War Office. I've been looking in the UK National Archives without success but found a reference to them being held in the US at the Eisenhower Library in Abiline. I think I may have found a reference in the catalogue: SHAEF A69-14 Box 2 SHAEF G-2 Digest 91-115, 116-140, 141-175. Has anyone seen any references to these in previous books or articles? Apparently, SHAEF G-2 Brigadier Strong wrote that the Digests contained the Top Secret Sigint information that he could not include in the Secret Weekly Intelligence Summaries.

Grateful for any information.

regards

Tom

MLW

Re: SHAEF Daily Intelligence Digest

Post by MLW » 04 Jun 2015, 01:12

Interesting - this is what NARA's database says about the records - https://catalog.archives.gov/id/1736875 ... e%20Digest - They appear to be in a record group that is 18 linear feet!

Regards,
Marc

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 04 Jun 2015, 21:41

Marc,

Thanks for the reply and the link. The other confusing element is that there seems to be a discrepancy between the classification of the "digests" in the NA and those in the Eisenhower library. John Nelson Rickard says that the NA digests are classified secret, while those in the Eisenhower Library are marked Top Secret. He refers to them in "Advance and Destroy" e.g. "SHAEF G-2 Digest #189, December 12, 1944, SHAEF Selected Records, accession 69-14, box 6, DDEL". The catalogue reference matches the Accession number that I previously found, although I'm looking for earlier dates in Box 2 I think.

I've found some copies of secret SHAEF G-2 Daily Digests in the archives here in the UK National Archives, but they do not cover SIGINT information (which would have upgraded them to TS I guess, and apparently Brigadier Strong claimed that the SIGINT digests were all destroyed on receipt.

I guess the only way I'm going to find out for sure is to find out if the Eisenhower library will copy some of the files for me!

Regards

Tom

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 13 Jul 2015, 00:18

Hi Tom

Just a thought, have you asked Combined Arms Research Library (CARL) Digital Library http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/
I ask only because when I was doing some research on ONI and Anglo-American Naval Intelligence, I contacted them after some
duff info I'd been given and they were able to give me some outstanding info themselves and some excellent leads.

You can only ask and they can but only say yes or no!

Regards

Andy H

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 17 Jul 2015, 21:34

Andy,

Good idea, I'll try them as well.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 28 Sep 2018, 21:08