For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related items you have for sale. By posting items for sale in this section, you agree to the guidelines found in this section.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

Post by Ivan Ž. » 24 Mar 2021, 17:35

richcarrick wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:02
I am currently selling a huge double photo album on eBay UK.
I've been informed that the seven photos of Tigers show tanks of III Platoon of the 13th (Heavy) Company, 1. SS Pz. Rgt. LSSAH at Kursk.
Its possible other photos show Wittmann's tank.
Hans1906 wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 19:30
previously unknown original photos of "Michel" Michael Wittmann I personally would not show in an internet forum, certainly not.
If I wanted to sell these photos, I would digitize them in the best possible way, and offer the images to one of the world-renowned auction houses.
Ivan Ž. wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 16:32
Hans1906, urging a fellow member not to post historically interesting material on a history forum is really counterproductive to say the least (as Mark already suggested). Please don't ever do that again. As for Michael Wittmann himself, neither is he a truly important historical figure nor are his images exceptionally rare, so your idea of offering the photos - which don't even show him but maybe his tank - to world-renowned auction houses, as if they were some ground breaking discovery, was, in the absence of a better word, silly. (As always, don't take my criticism personally, it's aimed at a particular issue.)
Hans1906 wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 17:19
I accept your opinion about the photos, my opinion is very different, calling me an idiot, that is your very personal choice.
As a moderator you are in the situation to edit your own posts later, you are allowed to do that, fine.

I collected tens of thousands of photos in the 1980s and the 1990s. Most of the pictures came from private estates, and maybe 15% of the pictures came from a waste paper container, nothing more.

I spoke with a great many German war widows, sometimes for several hours talking about Sevastopol, the General SS, the Waffen SS.
I have the photos, and I have always asked to be allowed to show the pictures on the Internet.
This was not the wish of the bereaved, and I abide by it, for me a matter of course.
What on earth are you writing about... As I already urged you before, please read the posts more carefully before replying. In case you still don't get it, the seller never had nor claimed to have images of Wittmann, but maybe of his tank. I never called you an idiot - quite the contrary, I wrote you not to take criticism regarding one particular issue personally. Read my post again, read yours and read Rich's. You're making a mess - again - and it's really getting tiresome.

Ivan

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Re: For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Mar 2021, 18:00

richcarrick wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:02
I've been informed that the seven photos of Tigers show tanks of III Platoon of the 13th (Heavy) Company, 1. SS Pz. Rgt. LSSAH at Kursk. For example, turmnummer '1333' is visible which was the mount of SS-Unterscharführer Hans Höld.at Kursk, damaged after 'Citadel' on a railway flatcar.
Assuming that the album to which kstdk linked is the one that you are selling, I am not convinced by this unit identification.

This was the unit insignia for 1. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division during the Battle of Kursk:

This was the unit insignia for 3. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division during the Battle of Kursk:

There may of course be other identifying insignia in the album that are not obvious from the eBay listing. The two units fought in close proximity, and I would guess that they would have used some of the same railway stations.

Return to “For Sale & Wanted”