► Photothread: British Vehicles in German Service

A section dedicated to photo threads on panzer and other Axis vehicles.
kerryboo

Re: ► Photothread: British Vehicles in German Service

Post by kerryboo » 06 Sep 2020 22:32

Hi Jose,
The Snipe may be civilian, but I incline towards it being military. The lorry is an Albion, as seen in the thread query started April 25. Something I had not noticed is the exposed steering seen on some, as above, but not on this one. More research by me needed!
Cheers,
Kerry.

Jose85

Post by Jose85 » 09 Sep 2020 16:20

Hi Kerry,
Thanks! So is there any trustworthy identificator for these trucks?

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 09 Sep 2020 19:57

Hi jose,
Sadly there is no simple method. The size, shape and position of the radiator can be indicative, along with the shape and "flatness" of the front panel. Also the form and length of the mudguards and the presence of a wind screen, although these were routinely replaced by the German captors. From side-on the form of the wheels and the position and shape of the fuel tank are helpful along with the form of the cab roof, if any. When the photo is clear enough the makers logo can be conclusive, as with the Albion with it's huge sunburst logo. This practically covers the front of the radiator header tank, which is triagular-topped with a filler cap on top, as in the query scan.
The 3-ton series were produced to a common specification, but with practically no commonality of design, and certainly no inter change-ability for the ever resourceful German mechanics who managed to keep these useful load carriers functioning for years, with some which had been taken after the evacuation of the BEF even surviving unti the end of hostilities!
I am sorry i cannot be more encouraging, the subject is a minefield. I will be more than happy to help further if I can.
Best regards,
Kerry.

Jose85

Post by Jose85 » 21 Oct 2020 14:01

Hi Kerry,
Thanks!

Commer-Q2?
commerq27gebirgsdivisionfinnland.jpg
AEC Marshall? ...and probably ex-Belgian Ford-Marmon Umbau on the left.
lkwbritishhollandfrankreich.jpg
Photos from eBay.de
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SIS 5

Post by SIS 5 » 21 Oct 2020 17:36

Hi Jose,

thank You very much for posting these great pics. The truck on the first pic is a Commer type Q 4. Here a pic of this truck out of the book "British Military Trucks of World War Two" by Jochen Vollert.

Regards

Bert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 21 Oct 2020 22:27

Hello Jose,
Nice photos.
In the second one there are 3 Marshalls, all of which have German-added crew protection, including windscreens., The second one's identity is betrayed by the fuel tank, the shape and location are both very distinctive. The first one has a locally produced cab added, with doors and a built up front with a smaller, higher, windscreen than those fitted to the other two. The second one still has a very nice early "pram hood" roof, as here.
As said, nice interesting photos, thank you.
Cheers,
Kerry.

Jose85

Post by Jose85 » 23 Oct 2020 13:32

Hi Kerry and Bert,
Thanks!

another of the damn 3-tonners...
both Guy FBAX? Are the "deeper" (or more skirted) and rounded fenders, and the bar shape a good identificator?
lkwenglischbeutebrussel.jpg
lkwbritish1942.jpg
not much to be seen, but Bedford QL-series in North Africa?
bedfordqlpanzerjagerabtl220afrika.jpg
Photos from eBay,de

Return to “Panzer & other vehicles - Photo threads”