Then and now in Normandie.

A section dedicated to photo threads on panzer and other Axis vehicles.
kerryboo

Then and now in Normandie.

Post by kerryboo » 28 Sep 2016 12:48

I saw this photo on eBay and thought that I recognised it. Here is a comparison, it is in St. Denis-le-Gast, just 15 km from my home,
Kerry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Then and now in Normandie.

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 28 Sep 2016 16:01

I think you're right Kerry
The bricks of the wall and around the windows seems similar to me.
Congratulations
Kindly regards from Belgium and sorry for my poor english knowledge.
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 28 Sep 2016 16:16

kerryboo wrote:I saw this photo on eBay and thought that I recognised it. Here is a comparison, it is in St. Denis-le-Gast, just 15 km from my home,
Kerry.
Interesting. From the size of the hole the tankers are examining it looks like it might be 37mm. I'm wondering if they are the tank crew who took it out? If it is indeed St. Denis-le-Gast then they are likely 2d AD after the engagement the night of 29 July with 2. and 17. SS?
"Is all this pretentious pseudo intellectual citing of sources REALLY necessary? It gets in the way of a good, spirited debate, destroys the cadence." POD, 6 October 2018

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 29 Sep 2016 11:04

Thank you both for the excellent input. There was obviously more damage than the penetration in the turret, note the displaced return rollers. I cannot guess how that happened, unless possibly an internal explosion? There does not appear to be any other external damage.
I found it surprising that even the lean-to outbuilding at the rear of the house is still evident over 70 years on, and on the original it is possible to also see the stone-built gatepost on the end of the property.
Thanks again,
Kerry.

Return to “Panzer & other vehicles - Photo threads”