► Photothread: Colour photos of Axis Panzers in WW II

A section dedicated to photo threads on panzer and other Axis vehicles.
Piotr Mikołajski

Re: Colour photos of Axis Panzers in WW II

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 22 Apr 2013 01:14

peeved wrote:However the desert sand (...)
That's the problem with all such disscussions - approximations and speculations are taken as facts and next speculations are take these "facts" as proven. But there are no one and only shade of desert sand, one and only shade of sky blue etc.

I'm not sure if pink reconnaissance Spits were in Northern Africa but I don't think that stocks of PRU Pink would be kept so large for few recon a/c to allow DAK repaint so many vehicles. Besides... PRU Pink is in fact dirty mix of white, grey and pink → http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/media/m ... e/x034.jpg

Luftwaffe or Regia Aeronautica colours don't fit too and that's why science methods are necessary. Of course we can disscuss about possibilities but all theories will be equal.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

peeved

Post by peeved » 22 Apr 2013 14:32

Piotr Mikołajski wrote:
peeved wrote:However the desert sand (...)
That's the problem with all such disscussions - approximations and speculations are taken as facts and next speculations are take these "facts" as proven.
Well, I was trying to address your proven fact that
Piotr Mikołajski wrote:...all we have is one colour photo with clearly visible red shift (look on red crosses)
Given that the e.g. the sand, roof canvas, white in the Horch's front wings, DAK symbol and number plate and the light khaki blotches in the vehicle don't show appreciable pink hue the speculated red shift appears rather selective.
Piotr Mikołajski wrote:But there are no one and only shade of desert sand, one and only shade of sky blue etc.
Certainly, and going through expired auctions of the pics in the same series (seller 100-years-of-history) shows e.g. situations where the sand seems pinkish on Agfa.

Markus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peeved

Post by peeved » 22 Apr 2013 14:36

Same source, examples of grayish camo in various shades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peeved

Post by peeved » 22 Apr 2013 14:39

Same source, lighter vehicle colours.

peeved

Post by peeved » 22 Apr 2013 14:41

Same source, equipment photos for comparison.

peeved

Post by peeved » 22 Apr 2013 14:43

Same source gray and pinkish camo.

Piotr Mikołajski

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 22 Apr 2013 23:12

And all these photos proofs only one thing: colour shift on Agfa slides. Kodachrome slides, while known to show colours slightly oversaturated, were much more trustworthy. We may learn a lot from Agfa slides but we will not about exact shade of particular colour.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

peeved

Post by peeved » 23 Apr 2013 06:47

Looking at the vehicles, uniforms, other equipment and people without what I perceive an unusually pinkish hue I see little that I would consider as out of the ordinary colourwise especially when one makes allowance for the effects of lighting, colour fading etc. E.g. in the top picture just the parts of the light khaki van obscured by the pinkish sand appear pink. A major red shift seems unlikely to me but I must admit that the colours do seem different from one monitor to another. Given the apparent policy of the DAK to throw onto vehicles anything that sticks and the unknown colour accuracy of the eBay photos the exact shade does remain a mystery since barring time travel we can't compare the actual pinko Horch and the developed slide on the shot spot.

Markus

Piotr Mikołajski

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 23 Apr 2013 10:24

peeved wrote:Given the apparent policy of the DAK to throw onto vehicles anything that sticks and the unknown colour accuracy of the eBay photos the exact shade does remain a mystery since barring time travel we can't compare the actual pinko Horch and the developed slide on the shot spot.
Exactly. And that's why we can only wait for scientific analysis of paint layers from preserved equipment.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

J-Feder-504

Post by J-Feder-504 » 24 Apr 2013 17:34

Hi again !
I will make a pic of my preserved equipment painted with that factory pinky paint. With a comparison to well known german sand ( Dunkelgelb ).
I hope that you will appreciate.

Overview

2 jerrycans

Mixed colors

Without flash

Cheers
eric

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 24 Apr 2013 22:48

The colour of the Horch could simply be RAL8000, which the Germans used as a base colour for DAK camo up until 1942, when they switched to RAL8020, which looks to be the colour of the Jerry Can on the right hand side in J Feder 504's posts. Although many vehicles were painted in RAL8000 well into 1943. RAL8000 could be quite dark looking and coupled with various other factors, plus the colour shifts in old film, would often look different to what it was supposed to be.

Piotr Mikołajski

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 25 Apr 2013 02:28

J-Feder-504 wrote:I hope that you will appreciate.
Excellent photos and collection, thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 19 Jun 2013 23:13

Here are 2 colour photos of burnt out panther tanks in Normandie

I came accros them on:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/me ... Panther+As

Just have a look:

Photo 1
http://life.time.com/history/after-d-da ... Cmostpop#9

Photo 2
http://life.time.com/history/after-d-da ... mostpop#12

Cheers

Stan P

Post by Stan P » 20 Jun 2013 21:06

Hi

Somua S-35 in German service,
Any other informations about this parade ? Paris ? 1940 ?

Regards, Stan

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 21 Jun 2013 04:56

Stan P wrote:Hi

Somua S-35 in German service,
Any other informations about this parade ? Paris ? 1940 ?

Regards, Stan
the note of the pic: A German tank column of captured French Somua S35 and Hotchkiss H39 on a Boulevard in Paris, 1941

ttvon

Return to “Panzer & other vehicles - Photo threads”