1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 02 May 2018 13:51

Made a diorama depicting a Jagdpanzer IV from schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 655 in latre Autumn, Ardennes (photo attached)

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg


A few questions in my head:

1. Did it snow in late Autumn, Ardennes or the muddy ground (caused by the rain) is good enough?
2. Would the rust be a bit excessive given the unit only received the new Jagdpanzer IV in Sep and there was no combat in between Sep and Dec.
3. Did ww2 AFV rust much easier and quicker than the modern counterpart given they did not have baked painting technique in 1940's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dgfred
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: 31 Jan 2008 16:56
Location: N.C., USA

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby dgfred » 02 May 2018 17:03

Excellent!

turcoscot
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 05:05
Location: USA

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby turcoscot » 06 May 2018 04:23

Very nice work! Which kit did you use?

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 710
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby Cult Icon » 06 May 2018 04:34

Initially it did not snow in the Ardennes. It started snowing later on in the battle.

imho I do not see much rust with AFVs in ww2. They didn't last that long in the field.

Also, the nco with the MP is wearing a SS fur jacket. This was a standard item in Russia 1943 but later on I do not see it much, and I've never seen a SS man wear it in the Ardennes. The standard snow suit was a reversible.

The caps worn by the TD crewmen are non-standard.

User avatar
T. A. Gardner
Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: 02 Feb 2006 00:23
Location: Arizona

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby T. A. Gardner » 06 May 2018 09:07

Very nice work, but I have to ask, would the crew really pile stuff over the engine deck such that the cooling vents for the engines were blocked? That and I'd note that the gun sight and gun are pointed in two different directions. Is that possible?

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 14 May 2018 14:43

turcoscot wrote:Very nice work! Which kit did you use?


Tamiya 35340 + Eduard PE side skirt + Friulmodel Metal Track

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 14 May 2018 14:47

T. A. Gardner wrote:Very nice work, but I have to ask, would the crew really pile stuff over the engine deck such that the cooling vents for the engines were blocked? That and I'd note that the gun sight and gun are pointed in two different directions. Is that possible?


I have seen lots of modeller doing this, it actually happened in real. See photo links below


https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602310655782/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602307195914/

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 14 May 2018 14:50

Cult Icon wrote:Initially it did not snow in the Ardennes. It started snowing later on in the battle.

imho I do not see much rust with AFVs in ww2. They didn't last that long in the field.

Also, the nco with the MP is wearing a SS fur jacket. This was a standard item in Russia 1943 but later on I do not see it much, and I've never seen a SS man wear it in the Ardennes. The standard snow suit was a reversible.

The caps worn by the TD crewmen are non-standard.


You are the expert. I regretted about the rust, but not sure how to make amends.

The SS is actually from the Alpine figure NCO in Kharkov, I should not use it. You have real sharp eyes.

The TD crewmen is from the kit, cant make changes

Let's say if it is not for Ardennes, which year (season) and which theater of war do you think the diorama most closely represents?

User avatar
T. A. Gardner
Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: 02 Feb 2006 00:23
Location: Arizona

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby T. A. Gardner » 14 May 2018 16:13

hj1985 wrote:
T. A. Gardner wrote:Very nice work, but I have to ask, would the crew really pile stuff over the engine deck such that the cooling vents for the engines were blocked? That and I'd note that the gun sight and gun are pointed in two different directions. Is that possible?


I have seen lots of modeller doing this, it actually happened in real. See photo links below


https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602310655782/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602307195914/


Those are Sherman tanks. The air inlet for engine cooling is at the very front of the engine deck.

Image

That rectangular, raised cover is where the cooling air comes in.

On a Jadgpanzer IV, there are two large ventilation grills on top for the same purpose:

Image

So, while you see US tanks having stuff piled on the engine deck, the Germans don't do that normally because it cuts off the cooling air intakes

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 710
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby Cult Icon » 15 May 2018 01:37

hj1985 wrote:
You are the expert. I regretted about the rust, but not sure how to make amends.

The SS is actually from the Alpine figure NCO in Kharkov, I should not use it. You have real sharp eyes.

The TD crewmen is from the kit, cant make changes

Let's say if it is not for Ardennes, which year (season) and which theater of war do you think the diorama most closely represents?


If you take out the figure, it could pass for Ardennes. Leave the figure in, and perhaps Hungary, late 1944. Before the snows dropped. The figure in the Kharkov smock is a bit odd. Although I have seen members of 3.SS and 5.SS wearing the smock later on (they only fought on the Eastern Front).

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 15 May 2018 13:16

T. A. Gardner wrote:
hj1985 wrote:
T. A. Gardner wrote:Very nice work, but I have to ask, would the crew really pile stuff over the engine deck such that the cooling vents for the engines were blocked? That and I'd note that the gun sight and gun are pointed in two different directions. Is that possible?


I have seen lots of modeller doing this, it actually happened in real. See photo links below


https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602310655782/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602307195914/


Those are Sherman tanks. The air inlet for engine cooling is at the very front of the engine deck.

Image

That rectangular, raised cover is where the cooling air comes in.

On a Jadgpanzer IV, there are two large ventilation grills on top for the same purpose:

Image

So, while you see US tanks having stuff piled on the engine deck, the Germans don't do that normally because it cuts off the cooling air intakes


Thanks for sharing mate, sharing is caring, lol.

I will not repeat the same mistake in next Diorama.

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 15 May 2018 13:25

Cult Icon wrote:
hj1985 wrote:
You are the expert. I regretted about the rust, but not sure how to make amends.

The SS is actually from the Alpine figure NCO in Kharkov, I should not use it. You have real sharp eyes.

The TD crewmen is from the kit, cant make changes

Let's say if it is not for Ardennes, which year (season) and which theater of war do you think the diorama most closely represents?


If you take out the figure, it could pass for Ardennes. Leave the figure in, and perhaps Hungary, late 1944. Before the snows dropped. The figure in the Kharkov smock is a bit odd. Although I have seen members of 3.SS and 5.SS wearing the smock later on (they only fought on the Eastern Front).


If I take out the Jagdpanzer IV and leave the figure, can I say Eastern Front, Late Autumn 1943 (i.e. 5.SS operated around Dnieper river) not sure if the soil colour, muddy condition and leaves match Ukraine?

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 710
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby Cult Icon » 15 May 2018 19:11

hj1985 wrote:
If I take out the Jagdpanzer IV and leave the figure, can I say Eastern Front, Late Autumn 1943 (i.e. 5.SS operated around Dnieper river) not sure if the soil colour, muddy condition and leaves match Ukraine?


Not sure about the foilage but the photos I've seen of the SS in the Ukraine largely show them wearing the 2-piece padded suit. Yea, maybe.

hj1985
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Jan 2014 05:43

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby hj1985 » 18 May 2018 10:39

T. A. Gardner wrote:
hj1985 wrote:
T. A. Gardner wrote:Very nice work, but I have to ask, would the crew really pile stuff over the engine deck such that the cooling vents for the engines were blocked? That and I'd note that the gun sight and gun are pointed in two different directions. Is that possible?


I have seen lots of modeller doing this, it actually happened in real. See photo links below


https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602310655782/

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/47428602307195914/


Those are Sherman tanks. The air inlet for engine cooling is at the very front of the engine deck.

Image

That rectangular, raised cover is where the cooling air comes in.

On a Jadgpanzer IV, there are two large ventilation grills on top for the same purpose:

Image

So, while you see US tanks having stuff piled on the engine deck, the Germans don't do that normally because it cuts off the cooling air intakes


I recently came across this photo.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/n ... Marsch.jpg

User avatar
T. A. Gardner
Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: 02 Feb 2006 00:23
Location: Arizona

Re: 1/35 Jagdpanzer IV Diorama Feedback needed

Postby T. A. Gardner » 18 May 2018 21:45

hj1985 wrote:I recently came across this photo.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/n ... Marsch.jpg


I would think that it might be acceptable in cold weather when the engine could get excessive cooling. But, as a rule, I'd say it's not done. I've also seen modelers do things like cover hatches, periscopes, etc., with camouflage nets, tarps, or even exterior baggage. This too would never be done by a sane crew. Why would they block their means of entering and exiting the vehicle, particularly in combat if it might be hit and they need to get out quickly? The same goes for other things like vision devices. Deliberately blind yourself? I think not.

It's about common sense. Ask yourself, If I was the crew of this vehicle, what's the most convenient and least obstructive place to put stuff?


Return to “Model building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]