28cm Bruno Neu K (E) 3D printed/new Kit

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
EPOCH3

28cm Bruno Neu K (E) 3D printed/new Kit

Post by EPOCH3 » 07 Mar 2020, 16:50

Hi- over the last couple of months I have had the great opportunity to work with Billie Jean DeBekker at PanzerConcepts
to take some of my 3D modeling projects and turn them into physical model kits.

Most of the Initial master parts are still printed using 3D printers and then the masters are used to make RTV molds for resin casting. Ultimately the goal is to do some of these as plastic injection kits but that technology is quite expensive costing anywhere from $100/$150K and up to do these in plastic. For the time being, the kits will be generally be mixed media (resin, PE, laser cut parts) and in 1/35th scale.

Attached here are a few planning & test fit pictures of the prototype for the 28cm Bruno Neu K (E) kit as it comes together. The kit should become available in April for anyone interested in obtaining one.

Regards
Attachments
Br N 2.jpg
Br N 3.jpg
Br N 4.jpg
Br N 5.jpg
Br N 1.jpg

EPOCH3

Re: 28cm Bruno Neu K (E) 3D printed/new Kit

Post by EPOCH3 » 07 Mar 2020, 16:56

Here is a screen capture of the Bruno Neu truck assy to show level of detail that has been designed into the kit.
For the most part, actual factory drawings were used for the overall design of the model. Also, attached here is
a quick screen capture for the overall kit in case someone wants to check it out at www.panzerconcepts.com.

I'll put more build pictures here as they become available.

Regards
Attachments
28cm Br N K (E) _a.jpg
1.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 14 Mar 2020, 23:05

Some work-in-progress / update pictures of the 1/35th scale 28cm Bruno Neu multi-media kit (from Panzer Concepts) showing the wiege and several of the photo etched parts (crane platform and walkway panels).
Attachments
Br N PE 2.jpg
Br N PE 1.jpg
Br N Wiege 1.jpg
Br N Wiege 2.jpg
Br N Wiege 3.jpg

Truelove

Post by Truelove » 15 Mar 2020, 06:21

Beautiful work.
I think there would be a market for this stuff in 1/72 scale. The K3 24cm gun would be a nice one to test the waters 🤑🤑🤑🤑

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 15 Mar 2020, 23:50

Truelove wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 06:21
Beautiful work.
I think there would be a market for this stuff in 1/72 scale. The K3 24cm gun would be a nice one to test the waters 🤑🤑🤑🤑
I feel the same about 72nd...

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 16 Mar 2020, 03:43

A few more pics of the prototype as it comes together.
Regards
Attachments
Br N Crane 2.jpg
Br N Crane 1.jpg
Br N Crane 3.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 18 Mar 2020, 15:16

walkway platforms in PE getting installed
Attachments
28cm Br N K E aa.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 19 Mar 2020, 22:05

segmented Ammo trollies just like the real ones used.

For anyone interested. Overall dimensions used for the model were taken from original
Krupp factory drawings in 1/5th and 1/10 scale.

The translation mechanism in the back and under the compressor housing
is similar to that used on the WWI 28cm Bruno SKL/40 but not exact.
The function of moving side to side by a few degrees remained the same however.

The elevation mechanism for Bruno Neu was a new design. That new design
was anticipated to be used in future gun designs and can be seen in several of
the prototype railway gun designs that were not built.
Attachments
Ammo Trollies.jpg
peak a boo I see U.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 24 Mar 2020, 19:34

A couple of update pics on the Bruno N K (E) prototype WIP
Attachments
Trucks (13).jpg
trucks (4).jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 28 Mar 2020, 16:00

Bruno N trucks coming together - each almost a model in and of themselves. There are more parts in the Truck assemblies than the gun and carriage but the result results are worth it. These standard 5 axle trucks assemblies were also used several other wagons and railway guns.
Regards
Attachments
trucks (2) a.jpg
Trucks (39 a).jpg
Trucks (36) a.jpg

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 29 Mar 2020, 10:05

Very nice work!

I was wondering, the smaller pieces seem a bit "fuzzy", or look slightly melted. Are there machines around that make a finer detail? I collect 1:200 models, and at that scale, fuzzy details are not desirable.

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 29 Mar 2020, 18:46

Not sure what you mean by fuzzy but yes, there is always "better" - sounds like you want perfection which is not the goal here but there are quite a few printers in the $50K-$250K price range that can print some parts a bit better. There is certainly a limit to what you can achieve on your desktop and for less than $3000. For reference, most of the parts shown above are resin parts cast from molds. I can print one-off of some parts a little better maybe but the parts need to be made in way as to not tear up the rubber when thinking multiple production copies (extremely sharp edges and undercuts are not desired).

(sorry these pics are from a cheap camera) The castle nut on the buffer hardware is only 1.5mm wide (at 1/35th scale) and the smaller nut is .8mm wide, not sure you can print these types of details any smaller with any better fidelity. Even in 1/72nd scale, these nuts would only be bumps so I am not sure what sort of detail you want to achieve at 1:200 scale. If you are able to achieve that please share how you do it as I would be most interested in any tips. Kind regards
Attachments
trucks (30).jpg
Trucks (33) star nut.jpg

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 29 Mar 2020, 20:08

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes.

I have not, as yet, made any 1:200 models, except in the old, traditional way. Rubber compound molds, for casting in metal alloy on centrifugal tables.
The rubber molds are made by placing the master model in a box, and pouring the rubber to cover part of the model. Repeat for the other part. Then vulcanize. I have done some work with soft plastic/silicone, and pouring in low-melting point metal.

But basically, I am looking for a way to make the master models. This is the most time-consuming and exacting work. as it is possible to convert line drawings to CAD, and then use them to print. I don't imagine that making a lot of 1:200 models would be efficient. Probably casting them would be easier.

--
Leo

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 29 Mar 2020, 20:48

Hi, no worries - toes ok :) I am honestly interested in finding new/different ways to improve details etc if you have any to share. I am not a professional or expert in anyway - I do this for fun. There is just limits to the level of detail that can be done on desktop technology by hobbyist etc. and I was only trying to explain that (but that changes everyday). The 1/200 scale things I have printed are basically missing all the details you expect at the larger scales. Any details you want have to be scaled up to varying degrees to see them. Just think of a 25mm rivet scaled to 1/200 scale :)

Note - all the parts in the above thread were made using same RTV mold making techniques that you are/were using although a centrifuge wasn't used.
A 3D cad model was made for the Master which for me the only way to go. I model in 1:1 scale first and then see what I can get away with scaling down to 54mm or 1/35th scale. If you do use a 3D printer for making masters in 1/200 scale you will most probably not want to start with 1:1 scale CAD models as I do and will want to make them in a more appropriate manner for the smaller scale. Best regards

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 30 Mar 2020, 11:16

As you say, details in originals and larger scales, disappear in 1:200 scale. Mind you, these models will eventually find their way either as part of organizational depictions, or as participants in table top war games. What I had in mind was to make the master molds for models I do not have, such as the entire line of Hungarian vehicles. There are plenty of scale drawings around, the measurements taken from original vehicles. (Hilary Doyle comes to mind.)

Some cheats: rivets become small holes; lines become raised ridges; seams are slightly exaggerated to be visible if necessary for recognition of the figure.

I tried bicycles and motorcycles, but with limited success. Either the wheels have to be solid and then painted carefully, which is fine for one or two models, but I am depicting 150-180 bicycles (each with two wheels), or they were too delicate and broke easily. Mercator, when it was still a German company, had a small plastic injection machine, and had molds (I don't know how) that produced very nice bicycles with no center in the wheels.
(The image attached taken with my iPhone is "fuzzy", and shows what I mean regarding wheels — unfortunately, it does not reflect the sharpness of detail of the original plastic model. :oops: )

--
Leo
Attachments
bike_1-to-200.jpg
bike_1-to-200.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 13525 times

Return to “Model building”