Wood Models

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
CAL

Wood Models

Post by CAL » 13 Nov 2002, 17:21

For the past several years, I have been making wooden models of WW2 -German U-boats and ww1 aircraft. The way I normally do it is to purchase a plastic kit. Take the plastic pieces and transfer it to wood. Cut the wooden pieces out and then widdel the pieces into shape and then clue the model together. I then paint it and use the decales with the kit to finish it off. I sometimes use the plastic parts to enlarge on a zerox machine to make the model bigger or smaller. I usually give the plastic kits to the grandkids . Anyway, ever so often I bring the models to a craft show. Almost always, once a buyer sees that th emodel is wood instead of plastic the interest is much greater. Also the price they are willing topay is much higher. Is there anyone else out there doing something like this? I have asked on several model forums and can find no one. It is kind of hard to believe that I am the only one. Thank you.

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 13 Nov 2002, 22:19

sounds pretty cool, can you post some photo's of your work??
i don't know anyone that doe's that.... how long doe's it take you to make a wooden one ver's a plastic??

CAL

wood

Post by CAL » 14 Nov 2002, 16:19

I don't know how to post photos but will try to find out. As far as the time goes, it has been a while since I have made a plastic one so I can't say how long that takes, but a ww1 plane such as a Fokker D , 8" long would take about 80 hours to complete. Of course that is not including the paint drying time. A u boat is some what longer due to more details. All in all I would say that the plastic model can carry more detail then can or at least then I can produce. However, the wooden model has a different and more appealing appearance. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Model building”