Tiger/Panther Model by Tamiya

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Rudel&Tiger_fan

Tiger/Panther Model by Tamiya

Post by Rudel&Tiger_fan » 06 Apr 2002, 22:40

Hi
I will buy Tiger I or II and Panther model by Tamiya.
If someone had done one of them (or more) ,thanx to contact me for some advices (particulary for painting).

Erich

Post by Erich » 06 Apr 2002, 22:47

Bon jour, please check http://www.missing-lynx.com for all your armor questions and painting idea's......it is one of the best sites around besides this one.

E :wink:

Rudel&Tiger_fan

Post by Rudel&Tiger_fan » 06 Apr 2002, 22:56

thanx.
But if someone can answer my questions when i'll make the models, tell me ;)

Erich

Post by Erich » 06 Apr 2002, 23:24

Again please post as Timo, the Commissar and others will gladly help. Sorry but armor is not my forte'........ this forum is for asking such questions... ! :D

E

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Rudel and Tiger Fan!!

Post by David C. Clarke » 07 Apr 2002, 00:33

Pleasure to meet you!
let me first say that painting is an art, seriously. There are many modelers who haven't mastered it (including me, I can build anything, but my handling of an airbrush sucks!). Unfortunately I can't blame it on Papa Tamiya. Their tank kits come with decent painting instructions, although it is normally limited to two or three vehicles. There is a sheet in the model that gives you the cammo pattern and the proper colors.
For instance:
Kit 35176 Panther G Late-- markings and patterns for a late G from the 9th Panzer Division and the 116th Panzer Division.
Kit 35164 Tiger II (production turret) two vehicles, one with zimmerit the other without.
Add to this the splendid box art and you have an instant paint guide. If you want to move beyond what the kit provides, my advice is to pick a specific vehicle of a specific unit at a particular time--say a Panther from 4th Panzer division in fall of 1944 and research the specific vehicle. There are bunches and bunches of soft-cover books that will give you
color paintings of particular vehicles. In this case, Concord Publications
7026, "4th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front (1944)" by Michulec is an inexpensive and good reference.
So, before painting, either commit yourself tyo using one of the color schemes provided by the kit, or decide to look at a particular unit and its vehicles. I hope this helps a little. Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Timo

Post by Timo » 07 Apr 2002, 00:53

In addition to Davids excellent reply, learn how to add Zimmerit coatings (square pattern for Panther, lines for Tiger) and learn about the specific cammo patterns used in specific periods by specific units. Also, learn about tactical and unit symbols and about callsigns (turret numbers). In the near future I will post articles about all these topics on the forum.

Meanwhile: some Panthers from excellent modellers to give you some inspiration

Miguel Jimenez

James Blackwell

Xavier Lena

Lester Plaskitt

(Photo's from Missing Links)

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Awesome Timo...

Post by David C. Clarke » 07 Apr 2002, 01:07

...simply Awesome! That's AFV painting at it's best and you can see that each builder uses different techniques and has an individual concept of weathering and shading. Definitely an art form !!! Very Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Rudel&Tiger_fan

Post by Rudel&Tiger_fan » 07 Apr 2002, 20:40

thanx all for advices :D

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 04 May 2002, 19:03

I discovered few years back a nice way of weathering tanks: Use ashed from a chimney. the black ashes will darken the original colors and the white ashes will ehance the colors and also give them a realistic look of a used vehicle....

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Starinov!

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 May 2002, 19:19

That's a good idea, the use of ash. It reminds me that a friend of mine uses crushed pastel chalk for weathering, especially the earth tones and black. This is, of course, after the cammo coat has thoroughly dried but before he seals it with a flat coat. Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Timo

Post by Timo » 04 May 2002, 20:02

Hallo David,

Crushed (powdered) pastel chalks are indeed a widely used and very effective method for weathering models. Always make sure that you washed the model with soft soap and warm water and let it thoroughly dry before applying pastels, because powdered pastel chalks are ideal to depict fingerprints :)

Cheers,
Timo

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Heh Heh!

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 May 2002, 20:13

Hi Timo, I try and leave my fingerprints only in glue on the turret, usually (chuckle). Best Regards, David :D

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 04 May 2002, 20:26

Best way to clean up after you've glued but not painted is steel whool (fine type unless it's for steel structure, then coarse type), and then a spuch of some kind with dilluted sopa to remove grease and everything else. It gives more natural seams, IMO.

Like Panther 2 and 4 in particular!

Christian

HJ Division Grenadier

1/35th modelling

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 25 Aug 2002, 11:09

Loved the images of the panthers, simply awesome.
I have made all of the Tamiya Tigers and a few of the Panthers. Will post some pics when I can get my hands on a digi camera.
I personally cant get to grips with zimmerit, most people say it looks fine, but when your not happy with it yourself.....well, you know what I mean!
I know verlinden do a lot of zimmerit kits now for Panthers etc, anybody have experience of them? I am thinking of getting some to see. 8O

Timo

Post by Timo » 25 Aug 2002, 11:14

Hallo,

I used Verlinden Zimmerit on a Tamiya late Tiger and was very pleased with the result. Basically the kit consisted of sheets of Zimmerit for the hull and a Zimmerited[ replacement turret, gunshield and driver/radio operator protective armor.

Regards,
Timo

Return to “Model building”