German raider Atlantis plastic kit

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Galahad

German raider Atlantis plastic kit

Post by Galahad » 27 Dec 2002 00:29

In case anyone with money to burn is interested, eBay currently has a mint copy of the extremely rare Aurora kit of the German raider Atlantis on auction. The auction ends in 2 1/2 days. Here's a link in case you want to look.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3101859524

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 28 Dec 2002 01:05

Hi Galahad, maybe this comes under the heading of "Money to Throw Away"!!! An already started kit of an historically dubious rendition of "Atlantis" without a guarantee that all of the parts are present and NO instruction sheet. And the auction stands at over $179 with a day and 11 hours left!!
I hope to do as well when I sell a kit on ebay! Who are these bidders anyway? What hold does this ship have on them aside from being a rarity? How accurate a model does anyone expect from a kit of this vintage?
Amazing...
Best Regards, David

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 28 Dec 2002 01:14

Hullo David.....I doubt those bidding on this one--or most of them--are buying it for its accuracy. Though the kit IS fairly accurate--which is odd, since it's an Aurora kit. I built it way back when it was first released, and seem to recall they consulted with Captain Rogge on it. The detail work, though, isn't fantastic; typical early Aurora there.

I'd guess most of the bidders fall in the modelling sub-species of "collector"--as opposed to thee and me and others here, who fall under the heading of "hoarders". <g>

Anyway, that particular item IS scarce, very much so.
Regards, Rob

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 28 Dec 2002 01:54

Hey Rob, well, sometimes I open my mouth to insert my foot. You're right, from either a collector or hoarder viewpoint, it is a very scarce kit. My main objection to this particular sale is that the kit is started and there aren't any directions. I could see paying a lot of money for the kit if it were complete and unstarted.
I didn't know Aurora consulted Rogge--his book is a classic. More importantly, I've never understood why Atlantis or other merchant cruisers like Pinguin and Thor were never kitted by the major plastic companies.
I have a 1/700 scale Mikuma on order from Hobby Link Japan and yes, I'd much rather have a 1/700 scale Atlantis!!! Best Regards, David

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 29 Dec 2002 20:52

For the "collector" species, though it's nice to have a pristine example, simply HAVING it is important. Like for a coin collector.....simply having a 1913 Liberty Nickel is more important than quality, given there are only 5 known--at least till you have one; THEN they go for quality.

In the case of that Atlantis, the box looked to be in wonderful condition, and I've noticed that even empty boxes (and rules) for scarce old kits can command significant prices.

In case you're interested, that Atlantis went for $204! Think what a mint copy in the original shrinkwrap would have brought.

To paraphrase that famous barroom interplay between Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald, collectors are somehow different from the rest of us.....they have more money. <g>

Galahad

Another Atlantis

Post by Galahad » 30 Dec 2002 11:28

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 01 Jan 2003 05:44

Hi Galahad, I think the price is to high and personally, I don't like bidding on items that aren't pictured. And who starts a ship model by painting the guns first? :D
But, since eBay defies all natural laws, someone probably will pick it up. By the way, check out the Thread in your honor "Most Collectible Models".
Happy New Year!!! Cheers, D

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 01 Jan 2003 16:44

Happy New Year, David! I agree that the price is too high for me, and would be even if the thing was in mint condition--but for a dedicated collector with money, it's probably not unreasonable. After all, that other one sold for $208 and change.

And I also don't like items with no picture.
Best,
Rob

Galahad

still another one

Post by Galahad » 01 Jan 2003 18:10

All of a sudden, Atlantis kits are cropping up like weeds. This is the best of the 3 I've seen listed, so far as kit condition goes, though it's not the original release--the box is different.

Note that the bidding is at $51, and the reserve's not yet been met.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4248

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 01 Jan 2003 21:00

Hey Galahad, check this link. The current seller, "Dustierider" purchased this kit on October 31st for $295.00. Want to guess what his/her reserve is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1781298557

I don't think this seller will make a profit, what do you say?
Best Regards, David

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 01 Jan 2003 23:25

$295? Ack. And we thought $208 was expensive. I wonder why he's trying to sell it after paying that much for it only a couple of months ago? Maybe he has a VERY unhappy wife?

As for profit, it depends on how much profit--if he gets $300, he makes a small profit. But after just seeing the evidence that someone will pay $295 for the thing, who knows?

Hmmm.....except for one thing.....I won't, not even if I had the $$$$ to blow on toys like that. If I DID have it to blow, I know where I can get a Heller 1/400 Dunkerque for a bit less than $100.....and I've been flipping mental coins since I saw it.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 02 Jan 2003 00:24

Hmmm - guess we shouldn't complain about average kit prices just yet ;)

Christian

Return to “Model building”