The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 20 Aug 2004, 10:34

Hi Ervin -

The Movie Tigers (including SPR) are usually built on T-34s for some reason (cheapness I thiink) and are WAY smaller than the actual beasty.......

The tracks as you say are narrower..... the roadwheels are WRONG! can't help that....... This "model" is built 1:1

To have a real running Tiger in private hands is NEARLY impossible - A friend of mine here in the UK has one....... Yeah I can hear you all laughing - Maybe if I post you some pics from his back yard........ anyway - He has one and it is not yet a runner - He is however restoring a PantherD - When she rolls, I'll send you pics of that too - Back to the "Tiger"

We have that "Tiger" - because we can!!!!! You could have one too - buy a donor T-55 and spend around £25K in turrets, steel, profile cutting and fabrication - It's easy!!!! I'll search some piccies out for you..... But I understand your question..... If we could get a real one - we would!

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 20 Aug 2004, 21:48

Von Schwerin wrote:Hi Ervin -

The Movie Tigers (including SPR) are usually built on T-34s for some reason (cheapness I thiink) and are WAY smaller than the actual beasty.......

The tracks as you say are narrower..... the roadwheels are WRONG! can't help that....... This "model" is built 1:1

To have a real running Tiger in private hands is NEARLY impossible - A friend of mine here in the UK has one....... Yeah I can hear you all laughing - Maybe if I post you some pics from his back yard........ anyway - He has one and it is not yet a runner - He is however restoring a PantherD - When she rolls, I'll send you pics of that too - Back to the "Tiger"

We have that "Tiger" - because we can!!!!! You could have one too - buy a donor T-55 and spend around £25K in turrets, steel, profile cutting and fabrication - It's easy!!!! I'll search some piccies out for you..... But I understand your question..... If we could get a real one - we would!
well, that sure explains alot , I like mine better , because its just the right size . Im even going to make my little brother a T-34 from some cheaper materials like card board :lol: ( which Ill destroy later ) . I got an idea to make a working 88 that fires something like plastic pellets :) . So far Im only upgrading the turret . Sure its small but I bet I have more fun :P :D

Does your cannon fire blanks or something

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 20 Aug 2004, 23:55

Yeaj Irv - We fire pyro charges from our "88" some of the R'C freaks over here fit water cannon to their tanks and it causes a scream when they drive them in public (See War and Peace Show Beltring)

Large scale R/C is big in England - Thre are clubs and societies devoted to it and they have wargames in arenas populated with scale buildings, rubble and "artillery barrages" made with small pyro...... As you guys would say - real neat!

I got to argue with you - How can you have more fun????? We wear the uniforms and ride the beast! I even drive her!!!!! I mean driving an actual tank (even if it is a T-55) - and operating servos......??? I will agree that the R/C stuff is cool and my post about having a bigger model is firmly tongue in cheek...... It's horses for courses isn't it??? I just wish I had the time to spend on building models - I'd definitely build a large scale Panther - sadly the nature of my career doesn't give me that much time....
Attachments
Tigerman.jpg
Can you pose INSIDE your model???? ;-)
Tigerman.jpg (62.11 KiB) Viewed 25262 times

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 21 Aug 2004, 06:13

Von Schwerin wrote:Yeaj Irv - We fire pyro charges from our "88" some of the R'C freaks over here fit water cannon to their tanks and it causes a scream when they drive them in public (See War and Peace Show Beltring)

Large scale R/C is big in England - Thre are clubs and societies devoted to it and they have wargames in arenas populated with scale buildings, rubble and "artillery barrages" made with small pyro...... As you guys would say - real neat!

I got to argue with you - How can you have more fun????? We wear the uniforms and ride the beast! I even drive her!!!!! I mean driving an actual tank (even if it is a T-55) - and operating servos......??? I will agree that the R/C stuff is cool and my post about having a bigger model is firmly tongue in cheek...... It's horses for courses isn't it??? I just wish I had the time to spend on building models - I'd definitely build a large scale Panther - sadly the nature of my career doesn't give me that much time....

You have to understand that in US you'd be happy with having a little piece of war :D . A couple of months ago I was still interested in making RC planes , but for a number of reasons I always messed up on the wings and the thing wouldnt fly .Then comes the weight . BUT with tanks all I have to do is make the wheels move . I try to make the tank look as realistic as I can . Because I picked the right scale to work on I could even make their radios and headphones work .
Attachments
king-tiger-1-6-330b.jpg
king-tiger-1-6-330b.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 25257 times

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 21 Aug 2004, 06:34

I wish I had a chance to show off my Tiger when I finish it and actually battle with other tanks :D
When they shoot pyro does it actually hit them other tank or is it something else ( i dont understand ) . The second reason why I like these tanks is that , everybody in the tank ( atleast mine ) has their own jobs . The radioman is at the hull MG , the loader is preparing the gun , gunner activates the 88 by RC , commander is the only one that does nothing but sit :lol: . That means if anything goes wrong with my driver or he gets hit , the tank wont move . Which then leaves the gunner to defend the tank like a sitting duck . Even the crew has their own weapons .

This is probably the last reason why I like it . I placed one of those small cameras in the cupola . So I could control the tank without even looking where it goes for about a 100 yards . Then with the other camera I could see out the cupola .

Actually there's alot more I just cant think of it right now , I'll post some pics later

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 21 Aug 2004, 06:38

For some reason I just love the tracks
( this is my friend's )
Attachments
foa10015.jpg
foa10015.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 25252 times

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 21 Aug 2004, 06:52

in summer , is it too hot to wear that uniform :)

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 22 Aug 2004, 13:59

LOL! I have another one - a denim uniform AND - another photo of a 1:1 scale model with me in it!!!!!! This time it's a SdKfz222 (gun is being replaced with a reall 20mm barrel!) built on a Range Rover (extended in the middle by 500mm) We Crazy Brits!

I posted some views of it too... really puts modelling into a whole new dimension..... You guys over the pond have 8 Rads too I believe!
Attachments
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG (124.84 KiB) Viewed 25239 times
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG (127.25 KiB) Viewed 25238 times
DSCF0025.JPG
DSCF0025.JPG (119.26 KiB) Viewed 25239 times

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 01 Sep 2004, 23:24

sorry I couldnt reply , I have a hard time logging in wth this interent ( and I have Aol 9.0 :roll: ) I like the normandy type of the 222 , yellow with green and light brown camo
Attachments
222c03.jpg
222c03.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 25209 times

Ervin

Post by Ervin » 01 Sep 2004, 23:27

you were right , this pyro crap stinks !!! Those people are really freaks !!!!!!!!!! God, they're stupid . First of all they're SS fans !!! but dont even know its motto ???! They waste 500 dollars to make an empty can not a tank .

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 17 Sep 2004, 18:09

?????? I don't get it erv?????? Who what when Where???

Sbf.Koch

Post by Sbf.Koch » 04 Oct 2004, 02:59

Von Schwerin wrote:Image
Isn't that a Heer-artillery cap and a Heer chest-eagle?

Regards,
Sbf.Koch

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Oct 2004, 01:04

The piping is pink, which was the colour of the tank crews. The artillery is traditionally red (and cavalry yellow, by the way), which was also retained during WWII.

They are Heer items, yes - but I don't see any problem with that, since it's also a Heer uniform. It would be silly to use an e.g. Kriegsmarine cap in stead of the Heer cap...

Christian

Timo

Post by Timo » 17 Oct 2004, 09:44

v.Schwerin: isn't that 20mm barrel way to short?

BTW, Christian is right. It's a very nice Heer Panzer uniform. Koch, don't get confused from the skulls. They were worn by all Heeres tank crews.

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 09 Dec 2004, 19:04

I just "refound" this thread - Thanks for the replys guys.

It's a Panzer cap with pink piping, the uniform as correctly stated is Heeres - We do Wehrmacht in our group and this leads me to a VERY interesting point I've observed on mere....... There is a huge domination of the WWII German re-enactment scene in America by W-SS units. I have no bias but would ask why? By far and away, the majority of Landsers and other soldiers were Heeres so why only portray elite troops?

Answer to Timo - the barrel on the SdKfz 222 is a dummy one constructed by the builder as a make do unitl the real 20mm could be fitted. This is now in place and when she comes out next season I will take more pictures. She is presently in Dunkelgelb livery and being used by a HG unit.

Return to “Model building”