Advantages of acrylic?

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Maurice C

Advantages of acrylic?

Post by Maurice C » 04 Jan 2003, 04:40

I dont know much about modeling but I have made and painted a couple of models for myself. I paint them using a brush and humbrol enamel paints, can anybody tell me what the advantages of switching to acrylics are?

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 04 Jan 2003, 08:09

Ya, I think I can help you, due to thats all I paint with..

painting with acrylics is different than painting with oils or enamels. however, once you quickly get used to their properties, you will find them a great medium to work with. They dry very fast, so you can move along at a good speed, go on smothly, and cover well. you can't blend acylics like you blend oil paints or enamels. you get the blended effect with thin layers of paint and with subtle gradations of color. they thin up nice with distilled water. if you use regular tap water your taking a risk of it messing with your paint, thats because some tap water is heavy with minerals that may react with the paint, and will give you dry gloss or with a white chalky sheen. I would test your paint with your spare model if your going to use your tap....
the 3 best acrylics I have tryed are: Tamiya, Vallejo, Andrea.
and get good paint brushes and keep them clean and soft, they clean well with water but after you do that run them through a brush CLEANER & PRESERVER, that will keep your brushes ready for the next round of painting. that costs around $3.00usa

the only problem's with them is you can't leave your bottles open for anymore than 20 minutes at a time with out closing and reshaking them or you get a "skin" layer on top of the paint. and if you make a mistake you have to get on it fast or your in deep sh--, I've had to restrip a model/figure or two in my time..
if your going to work with resin always start with a prime coat, because acrylics don't stick well on bare resin.
thats all I can think of right now, hope it helps..

also Letterman Publications has a book on: GETTING STARTED PAINTING DIORAMA FIGURES IN ACRYLICS #LP007 put out by Verlinden cost about $17.00
Last edited by Greg K. on 04 Jan 2003, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 Jan 2003, 08:33

Great Post Dragonman!! Of course, after seeing your painting, I expected a great post. Personally I switched from enamels to acrylics because I hated the smell of thinner. :D
Best Regards, David

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 04 Jan 2003, 08:56

thanks David

I wish I had someone to help me when I started.
I'm going to send Marcus alot of photo's for the model gallery in the morning, I have to go back in for surgery on monday morning, so I'll be out of action for awhile.
their placing a spinal-cord stimulator in my back, sounds fun huh. :cry: :cry:
c-ta greg

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 Jan 2003, 19:46

Hi Dragonman, my apologies, I didn't know you were ill. I hope everything works out alright. Hey, a New Year, so New Possibilities!!!
Very Best Regards, David :D

Maurice C

Post by Maurice C » 05 Jan 2003, 09:17

Thanks very much dragonman, thats a good post, I'll finish off my present crop of models and then weigh up the price of buying a new batch of paints and I reckon i need a airbrush as well. You dont see that many handbrushed cars on the road these days , i reckon the same goes for models.

Maurice C

Post by Maurice C » 05 Jan 2003, 09:20

I hope everything goes alright for your hospital visit and wish you good luck dragonman. Thanks Maurice

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 05 Jan 2003, 14:50

dragonman,

Sorry to hear that and I hope you'll be well and back here soon again.

/Marcus

Mistel1

Post by Mistel1 » 04 Feb 2003, 14:32

David C. Clarke wrote:Great Post Dragonman!! Of course, after seeing your painting, I expected a great post. Personally I switched from enamels to acrylics because I hated the smell of thinner. :D
Best Regards, David
The smell of thinner is a real problem. The switch to acrylics enhanced my wife's health. And as the nagging problem was overcome also, it's better for my health too+...

Return to “Model building”