Iwata airbrush...

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
prejo

Iwata airbrush...

Post by prejo » 15 Jan 2003 08:13

Hi all!
I want to buy an Iwata airbrush, model HP-BS Eclipse (for thin lines). Can anyone tell me if it is a good choice and if I should consider other brands (like Aztek, Paasche or Badger) also..

regards,
prejo

The Desert Fox

Re: Iwata airbrush...

Post by The Desert Fox » 15 Jan 2003 09:06

prejo wrote:Hi all!
I want to buy an Iwata airbrush, model HP-BS Eclipse (for thin lines). Can anyone tell me if it is a good choice and if I should consider other brands (like Aztek, Paasche or Badger) also..

regards,
prejo
I am no expert on airbrushes, but I work in an art supplies warhouse/shop which supplies many of the schools in my home city. The two biggest names we sell are the Paasche or Badger brands.

regards
The Desert Fox

Post by 1939 » 15 Jan 2003 17:31

Iwata is good indeed, but I would recommand Badger. It may not have the bsolute precision like making eyes on 1:72 soldiers, but it's steady, long lasting and relatively cheap.

It has a wery satisfactory performance.

My first airbrush was a Badger made by licence in Germany. I painted dozens of models and there has been no complications 'till present.

Revell also has a good spectrum of airbrushes. Still, if you want to do the real work, the Expert and Professional series cost a "little" more...

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 15 Jan 2003 21:47

Iwata is a great airbrush, if you want to do very fine lines that would be the one you should look at. BUT if you are not a skilled airbrush painter i would recommend one of the other brushes to start with. the only reason i say that is, Badger, Paasche,etc, can do just as good as the higher priced Iwata.
you need to keep in mind also the replacement cost of needles,nozzles,etc..... because your going to go through afew of them starting out.

i have a Paasche/d,action and can do hair line's, and can do it with a single action as well. THE TRICK IS: how you mix your paints, not how much you spend on a air brush, even tho thats what they say to do: buy the best out there. NOT.... i can just imagine some guy sitting behind his computer at a factory where they make the higher priced airbrushes and typing in the modeling forms, saying that everyone should buy a high priced, brand name air brush... if you think about it and ask around you will find that 95% of modelers use a brush that is in the middle of the air brush line.
SO it's up to you on how good you are, how much money you have to spend, and how well you mix your paints, as to what you should buy. if your going to air brush 20 hours aweek then i would get a higher priced brush. i can go on and on but i think you get the IDEA......
good luck...

prejo

Post by prejo » 16 Jan 2003 09:35

Hi,
Thank you all for your information. So I should continue to search for the best quality/price balance also for other brands. I have now a Badger licensed airbrush but I'm not satisfied on thin lines. Otherwise I consider it to be a good airbrush (very easy to clean too:))

regards,
prejo

Return to “Model building”