Question for moderator and model builders

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
ckleisch

Question for moderator and model builders

Post by ckleisch » 24 Apr 2003, 01:55

I have for a number of years collected items that reference the hobby of modeling and miniture building. Magazines I have are of Strategy& Tactics, Campaigns, Military History, Signal Productions and others dating way back into the 70s. many have how to illustrations on painting uniforms and equipment of various styles of equipment. These magazines are no longer in print. if proper credit is given to original authors is there an interest here in the information? if there is I would be more than willing to post threads on the data and scan the information to the thread so a new generation can share of the data.

An example of what i am talking about are articles like the following:
1.)Building a mideval diorama
2.)conversion techniques
3.)Primers of Modeling
4.)testing Polly S
5.) The defense at Isandlawana and Rorkes drift
6.) Gorget comparisons
7.) Painting with Acrylics
8.) the giant grenadiers of potsdam

this was the example from just one magazine.
i will await your comments

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 24 Apr 2003, 03:02

Hi ckleish, that's a very generous offer and I have to consult with Marcus and the other moderators before I can answer. It strikes me though that the copyright doesn't expire simply because the magazine is out of print. Someone may still own the rights to the contents of the magazines. I'm not terribly familiar with copyright law and internet use, so it's best that I answer your friendly offer after consultation with Marcus and the gang.

Best Regards, David

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 24 Apr 2003, 07:26

David C. Clarke wrote:Hi ckleish, that's a very generous offer and I have to consult with Marcus and the other moderators before I can answer. It strikes me though that the copyright doesn't expire simply because the magazine is out of print. Someone may still own the rights to the contents of the magazines. I'm not terribly familiar with copyright law and internet use, so it's best that I answer your friendly offer after consultation with Marcus and the gang.

Best Regards, David
Sounds fair enough. i understand.

Timo

Post by Timo » 26 Apr 2003, 13:50

Sounds like a very nice offer to me. Hope there are possibilities in the forum to publish such info here, but we'll have to check and double check all legal aspects.

Regards,
Timo

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 26 Apr 2003, 17:41

Just a thought if the articles are quoted with a bibliography isnt it just like a term paper if credits are given? Strategy and tactics as an example was a gaming magazine owned by SPI a gaming company now out of business. Stock was purchased by two succesive companies also out of business. Articles purduced were often submissions to surround the game. i would think bibliographies giving credit would satisfy anyones legal situation. But, i will do whatever you recommend for good of forum.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 30 Apr 2003, 21:05

David C. Clarke wrote:Hi ckleish, that's a very generous offer and I have to consult with Marcus and the other moderators before I can answer. It strikes me though that the copyright doesn't expire simply because the magazine is out of print. Someone may still own the rights to the contents of the magazines. I'm not terribly familiar with copyright law and internet use, so it's best that I answer your friendly offer after consultation with Marcus and the gang.

Best Regards, David
Actually, the copyright expires 90 years (or something) after it's applied to a certain merchandice.

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 03 May 2003, 19:07

I guess with everyone being busy my inquiry never received an acceptance or denial. Offer still on table. Again wouldnt bibliographys be in order to give due aknowledgement.?

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 May 2003, 06:24

I'm sorry ckleisch, the matter is still under discussion with Marcus and the other moderators. We haven't forgotten about your generous offer but it is a complicated issue.

Very Best Regards, David

Return to “Model building”