All models

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Blitzkreig

All models

Post by Blitzkreig » 28 Apr 2003, 15:52

any one got any great ideas for a novice on building dioramas?...im used to building models..got a bunch of tanks and stuff...but dont know how to build dioramas or what materials to use....anyone got ideas anything?? muhc appreicated...
thanks

rtvstamps

Post by rtvstamps » 29 Apr 2003, 07:19

:) Hi Blitzkreig:

Most of the times I try to take a look into the real photos of war to better get ideas on how to build my dioramas. I want to share with you a work I perfomed last year, step by step, on how to build it. I hope it is usefull for you.

Building a Diorama, by: Rodolfo Torres V. - Mexico

Fig. 1.- Plastic Evergreen strips to make the stairs
Fig. 2.- To make the stairs scheme with wood
Fig. 3.- With Tamiya glue stick the stairs between the wood previously cut and the wall on the back (also made of wood)
Fig. 4.- Join the upper side of the stairs with glue for wood

Fig. 5, 6 & 7- Cover all surfaces of the walls and stairs with Politec (acrylic poliester)
Fig. 8.- Be sure that your job has been duly set over the Diorama base

Fig. 9, 10, & 11.- Put over the kit which contains sidewalk and paviment, in this case I selected the "Vac-Formed" of Remi which is perfectly detailed with railroad and drain
Fig. 12.- Be sure that every part fixes perfectly

Fig. 13.- To make banisters for the upper side of the stairs I used wood and plastic Evergreen strips
Fig. 14.- Cut small pieces of metalic thin-bars
Fig. 15.- The small pieces of metalic thin-bars should be joined below each wood banister
Fig. 16.- Use Humbrol Model Filler and acetone for the following step

Fig. 17.- With Model Filler cover all wood surfaces (except stairs); through this, lines over the wood are perfectly erased and it remains a real wall aspect
Fig. 18 & 19.- Before it dries, use a pencil and ruler to draw the brick lines
Fig. 20.- Use an acrylic brown color to paint the banister wood and then use an scriber to draw lines which will define the wood, and finally over the same wood apply a creme color with a dry brush which will give a more real aspect

Fig. 21, 22, 23 & 24.- Apply red acrylic color for walls, grey for the stairs entrance, light-grey for sidewalk and paviment, after they dry, dust with pastel colors all previosly painted surfaces on the same colors used in acrylic and the aspect will be more real. Note: Paviment - After painting with acrylic, apply Humbrol cream color with a dry brush, then dust it with a mixure of pastel colors (ligh-grey - 70% and black - 30%), it will give a "dirty aspect on the street", apply some of this last mixure on each corner and border of the stairs, and finally with a dry brush apply some Humbrol silver color over the railroad and drain.

Finally I posted my Tiger I with machine gun team.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 29 Apr 2003, 18:15

Very nice walkthrough, Rodolfo, much better than many how-to books out there!

Christian

Timo

Post by Timo » 29 Apr 2003, 18:20

Very nice indeed. Well done!

rtvstamps

Post by rtvstamps » 29 Apr 2003, 19:51

:D Hi friends:

Thanks for your kind comments!

Regards,
Rodolfo

Blitzkreig

Post by Blitzkreig » 30 Apr 2003, 01:07

Well done..im very impressed. 8)

Maybe im just not in that frame of mind....or have any diea where to get the materials....my problem is i cant learn with reading thigns..you have to visibly show me and have me do it..also...i dont enough money to get an airbrush or most of the materials you used since im 17 and graduating highscool and going to college in the fall...so...i defiantly give much thanks for what you did..it did help...to bad you dont live closer to me :lol:

Thanks again!...do you have a web page out there that has other things youve built?

Return to “Model building”