Vogele Turntable Recoil Systems - 3D printed

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
EPOCH3
Financial supporter

Vogele Turntable Recoil Systems - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 03 Nov 2016 22:08

I have been looking for a Vogele turntable to display one of my 28cm K5(E) kits on and found the resin kits out there wanting in detail so I decided this week to start building one myself. This will be a work in progress and this is step one - to build the Recoil/Recuperater/coupling joint that attaches to the front of the turntable. This unit essentially is what connects the gun carriage to the turntable and allows the carriage to return to the same place after the recoil cycle has completed.

Pictures 1, 2, 3 are low res renderings of the basic 3D model I hope to build.

I decided to include a few screen captures to share some steps of the work flow for anyone interested. I actually did the 3D model several years ago and at the time there wasn't anywhere near the 3D printing capability that is available out there today. I brushed off the dust and actually just finished the model this morning. Picture Nr 4 is the CAD model after it was run through some software that reduces the size of the file. Reducing the size helps speed up the process of uploading when the site is slow (because of high levels of activity) as well as fixing the model (see below).

Once I had a finished model, I uploaded to shapeways (picture Nr 5 is what they see) to get a cost estimate. Initially, it was about $99 which was too expensive so I simply went back and hollowed out some of the larger parts of the model. I was able to get the cost down to about $61. I could have made it cheaper still but one goal here is to see if I can really print the whole assy as just one single part.

Once the model was uploaded to Shapeways, it is automatically checked to determine whether the thing can be printed - mainly to see if the model violates any of their general rules on maximum dimensions of the build envelope (which sometimes limits what materials you can use) as well as minimum dimensions for smaller parts of the model. The Shapeways site has software that will calculate and display problem areas where things are too thin (which generally means it will probably fail in the printing process). The nice thing is that the software will not only show you where the potential problems are but it will also fix them for you if you want. You always have the option to ignore the advice and print anyway (but the risk then is all yours as to whether it will turn out or not).

Please refer to the color pictures - the color "yellow" in picture Nr 6 shows me all the potential problem areas where things are too thin. Press one button to tell the software to fix the model, and when it finishes it shows you in "Blue" (picture Nr 7) where it has applied material to thicken the problem areas up. Sometimes this step is repeated. When everything is acceptable, you can order the part - pretty straight forward.

I should get the model back in about 10 days so I will upload some pictures of it as soon as I get it back.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to experiment with modeling via the 3D printing path -
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EPOCH3
Financial supporter

Re: Vogele Turntable Recoil Systems - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 03 Nov 2016 22:09

Here are the other pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EPOCH3
Financial supporter

Post by EPOCH3 » 16 Nov 2016 18:18

Hi - I just rec'd the model in the post this morning. Overall I am quite pleased with the level of detail. One of the buffer ends had broken off in transit but all was well after a drop of super glue. There is a very thin film of waxy like material that often is present on models built in this material. The waxy like substance is residual support material. I deal with this by running very hot water over the model (from a hot tea maker) and that usually does the trick. Sometimes if there are hollow structures in the geometry such as is the case with the cylindrical portions of this model, support material can't be simply washed away. I found that putting the model on a piece of cardboard and setting on my space heater allows the material to melts away and/or evaporate. I am sure there are other methods but this is simple and works for me. Attached find a few photos of the physical model. This material as noted before is semi-transparent when thin so it doesn't photograph very well when unpainted. Enjoy

Happy Modeling
Greg

EPOCH3
Financial supporter

Post by EPOCH3 » 21 Nov 2016 23:14

A quick primer coat applied helps show details better -
Regards

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 16 Jan 2017 08:14

Excellent work Greg!
Are You going to model turntable platform as well?

Return to “Model building”