Transport trolley for Ger V-2 Rocket - 3D printed

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
EPOCH3

Transport trolley for Ger V-2 Rocket - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 04 Nov 2017, 16:32

Hi - As a kid, I built several of the old Revell 1/69th scale V2 Rocket kits and launchers. I even built the old Schmidt Modelbau version in vacuform (for those old enough to remember those). They weren't very accurate but they are still sitting on my shelf and I have looked at them for years wanting to do something related in 1/35th scale. Over the years several model companies have introduced 1/35th scale models of the Aggregat 4 (A4) or V-2 rocket, launcher trailers and related vehicles etc. There were several expensive ones in resin and now Takom has released Kit No. 2030 - V-2 Rocket, Meillerwagen, Hanomag SS100.

For anyone interested that doesn't know, the German archives has digitized thousand of original V-2 Rocket documents and loaded some (albeit the low resolution version) to the Web. The low resolution drawings are meant to act as sort of a catalog so that researcher/modeler finds the information they are looking for and then orders higher quality pictures for a fee. In some cases the low res drawings are useful.

One of my larger on-going projects is modeling in 3D all the V2 related vehicles based on DigiPEER project data. I had wanted to do a graphically intensive book on the finished drawings but there are several authors already working on similar projects (redrawing the archives drawings in 2D) so I am just going to 3D print the models once I complete them.

I have several smaller 3D models finished so I thought I would start to investigate how the smaller details would print and whether changes to my models would be required. There will be....

The first test model I made was just a little trolley used for moving the V2s on a narrow gauge railway track (usually associated with the assembly line movements inside factory settings. The first print was pretty good but certain details were too thin and didn't print cleanly. I will update the model and reprint but I want to show anyone interested the failures (for the sake of learning from my mistakes etc).

More to come.....
Regards

==========================

For anyone interested in the research data please see below (translated from the German Museum web site).

Note: You might also check out Fort Eutis microfilm records (initially where most V2 related documents were taken in the USA). There is quite a bit available on microfilm through NASM.

The archive of the Deutsches Museum has selected for the DigiPEER project a stock of around 20,000 technical drawings for the development of the A 4 or V 2 rocket, which were created mainly during the Nazi period in the context of the Peenemünde Army Research Institute. The collection of drawings is part of a larger collection of documents from the Peenemünde Army Research Institute in the Archive of the Deutsches Museum (FA 014). All in all, this is a very comprehensive documentation of the development and serial production of a singular technical weapon system, the liquid-driven long-range missile with all its preliminary and secondary projects.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/forschun ... /digipeer/

Zum Portal:
http://www.digipeer.de/
Attachments
DSC_3664 a.jpg
DSC_3662 a.jpg
DSC_3661 a.jpg
DSC_3660 a.jpg
DSC_3658 a.jpg

EPOCH3

Re: Transport trolley for Ger V-2 Rocket - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 04 Nov 2017, 16:46

Here is a quick rendering of the Cad model so you can see what the thing should look like.
Also included is one of the drawings which was used as source material for the model.

Regards
Attachments
V2 Trolley a.jpg
Trolley dwg.jpg

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 04 Nov 2017, 21:43

Again interesting project Greg :thumbsup:
It would be nice upgrade set for V2 model.
This small trolleys were together with narrow gauge loko (Jung or Deutz).
This trolleys were under central part of V2 but engine part has different type-right?
Attachments
Dora fddMillelwerke...jpg
Dora a4_v2_transp.jpg
Dora a4_v2_transp.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
0_a3a27_f73a87d1_orig.jpg
b image420.jpg
b image420.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 04 Nov 2017, 22:43

Hi A. - yes, there are several types of trolleys - I have done 4 so far. Some just differ in wheel designs though. There are also different pieces used to connect multiple trolleys together and different "saddles" used for holding.

I have not started the Jung lok yet but I am done with one of the std gauge Deutz engines which I first printed using Shapeways (will reprint on my Form 2 soon) and also a small Deutz .6m narrow gauge lok. I experimented with printing the wheels for the smaller one in metal (brass).

I attached a few pictures of those projects and will update once reprinted.
Regards
Attachments
IMGP5701 a.jpg
wheels a.jpg
1 a.jpg
IMGP5661 a.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 04 Nov 2017, 22:51

Here is the prototype model for the Deutz A6M220/420 Diesel V-2 transport lok based on a real specimen in Hamburg.
Its in the cheaper nylon material and should look pretty cool once reprinted in resin..

Regards
Attachments
IMGP5137 lr a.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 05 Nov 2017, 21:00

Here are a few photos of the real thing (museum)
Regards
Attachments
IMG_2257 a.jpg
DSCF3948 a.jpg
DSCF3945 a.jpg

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 05 Nov 2017, 21:23

This is old and now incomplete but it shows in general what
I am trying to do with all the mixed rail gauges, V-2, cranes
and rail equipment etc
Attachments
Transportation Station 1b.jpg
transfer station 1a.jpg

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 06 Nov 2017, 17:48

Rendering looks great :thumbsup:
Is it Temperiewagen in the background?

Deutz A6M220/420 was dedicated to transport V2 for longer distances? (short distance = narrow gauge)
Just asking because it's hard to find photo of transport V2 rockets with loko.
I can recall typical WR360 attached to wagons with fuel and platform with elevation mechanism for V2.

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 06 Nov 2017, 18:22

Here is an example for the modelers of one of the
trolley related (low res) DigiPEER project drawings.

Even at low res, one can play around to clean up and to
make a bit more readable by adjusting contract etc.
You can see that it isn't what you like to see form a book but
it's quite useful wrt using for modeling purposes.

Regards
Attachments
Montagezeichnung_04723 a.jpg

piet71

Post by piet71 » 04 Dec 2017, 15:19

Your builds :thumbsup: are so NICE !

Return to “Model building”