Śmiały (armoured train) - 3D printed

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
EPOCH3

Śmiały (armoured train) - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 25 May 2018, 15:46

Several years ago when I became interested in 3D modeling, I took several old Russian books I had on the subject of armored trains
and modeled them all. Most of the Russian, German, Polish cars and trains used in WWI and WWII. These were fairly straight forward models with simple geometries so they proved a good way to learn the Software programs.
I decided to 3D print the Polish armoured train (Nr. 53) Śmiały which was used from 1914 all the way through 1945. Śmiały (means Bold in Polish).
To start with I decided to do a test print in 1/72 of the Lok. I thought if it prints in 1/72nd scale then it should print in 1/35th scale without issues. The buffers and spoked wheels proved just a little too small and broke when removing the supports. I can easily beef those parts up and reprint them and add separately to finish the model.
I quite like how the Lok turned out so I decided I will do the whole train in 1/72 scale.
Material resin cost w/o supports: 9.6ml (or about $1.45)
Total Material cost w supports: 22.64ml (or about $ 3,.37)
total time to print is medium resolution: 5 hrs 20 mins

Regards and Happy Modeling
Attachments
DSC_0011 a.jpg
DSC_0010 a.jpg
DSC_0009 a.jpg
DSC_0008 a.jpg
DSC_0006 a.jpg

EPOCH3

Re: Śmiały (armoured train) - 3D printed

Post by EPOCH3 » 25 May 2018, 18:57

Here are the main component cars that make up various train configurations - artillery car, command car & locomotive
Attachments
PP 2 a.jpg

Andrzej Ditrich

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 25 May 2018, 23:03

How nice :)

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 29 May 2018, 20:49

For some reason my scaling got off when I first printed the Lok above - I didn't
realize it at first but it looked too small (I don't do much in 1/72nd) and after checking it had actually printed in 1/144 scale!
It turned out great for 1/144th.

After correcting for scale, I reprinted the command car, artillerie car and Lok (2 each for the armoured train I am doing).
These pictures are of the 1/72nd scale version.

Regards
Attachments
IMGP7346 a.jpg
IMGP7350 a.jpg

Puster

Post by Puster » 02 Jun 2018, 18:20

Thats really impressive. Will you sell the files or the printouts? This is certainly worth buying. What type of printer are you using?

If somebody needs tracks, by sheer happenstance my wife just runs a Kickstarter campaign for railway tracks (and wheels): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... ortant-gau

A free 1:100 and 1:56 track is available in that campaign, and standard gauge will be open for free if it succeeds (which looks unlikely atm, though - so get that free track while its online).

Did I read that correct? You modelled ALL armored trains? If these look close to this model you find me mightily impressed...

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 03 Jun 2018, 14:54

Hi - thanks for the kind words. I haven't thought too much about selling .STL files as I don't know if there would be interest in that or not. I have thought about maybe doing some low volume production of some kits using shapeways 3D printing services but they are still a bit too expensive (at least for now) so I am also looking into the possibilities of working with a few small model companies to do some casting in white metal and resin. I do a few models here and there on commission but mostly I model to help friends with parts for projects etc.

Regarding your questions about printers and modeling; I use a Form2 printer from Formlabs and yes, I have modeled just about everything related to armored rail cars, trains and railway guns (over 100 models) that I have been able to find enough data for. There are a few that I am still doing basic research on and I am always adding small details here and there but most of the projects are 99% complete. The challenge now is to actually build them :)

I see you are new to the Forum so welcome. You can do a search on my username (Epoch 3) and see some of the other 3D printing related models I am working on or have done in the recent past.

Happy Modeling and regards
Greg

Puster

Post by Puster » 04 Jun 2018, 22:47

Well, the Formlabs explains the quality of the printout. We just own a Dremel Ideabuilder 3d20.
EPOCH3 wrote: I haven't thought too much about selling .STL files as I don't know if there would be interest in that or not.
If the other stuff is of similar quality, they are certainly worth some bucks - though it may not be easy to dig out those who have the same historical field of interest and a quality 3d-printer. Our own campaign offers tracks for all scales, and we we run around 30 supporters :-)
Still, impressive work on this one.
EPOCH3 wrote: I have thought about maybe doing some low volume production of some kits using shapeways 3D printing services but they are still a bit too expensive
Indeed - though they do charge per volume, so if you offer that in 1:100 or better yet 1:285 it should come out quite well in frosty detail (or whatever the new name is) and not get you broke. DasTri has two houses up there, and in 1:285 they are prices at $9-20, while the 1:100 version is on the 3-digits...

We plan a campaign for 3d buildings, and if you put up your train on Shapeways we might get one, to show off the tracks and railway stations (though a armoured train in an old-fashioned town is probably weired.
EPOCH3 wrote: I use a Form2 printer from Formlabs
That goes a long way to explain why my own printouts look not half as decent. Need a better printer...
EPOCH3 wrote:and yes, I have modeled just about everything related to armored rail cars, trains and railway guns (over 100 models) that I have been able to find enough data for. There are a few that I am still doing basic research on and I am always adding small details here and there but most of the projects are 99% complete. The challenge now is to actually build them :)
We just try to sell STLs, so we dug out some of the distribution channels that do exist. Currently using DriveThru, cgTrader and Shapeways (though there is not much online yet). Some special interest 3d-traders exist, and we are talking to some shops that now sell physical models. If one of these bites and starts to sell historical files, there should be a place for your trains.
EPOCH3 wrote:I see you are new to the Forum so welcome.
New is relative, as you might see at my activation date. I was just lurking here for different topics over the years, but never active.
EPOCH3 wrote: You can do a search on my username (Epoch 3) and see some of the other 3D printing related models I am working on or have done in the recent past.
Will do so, though until next Saturday the campaign will occupy my time a bit. After that my wifes will take over and create the files, while I can go on to plan the next one: 6mm buildings, with a railway station - and I will shamelessly take some inspiration from whatever I can find here :-)

Happy Modeling and regards
Greg[/quote]

ejwolski

Post by ejwolski » 08 Aug 2019, 21:50

Hi! Just saw this posting - are you willing to share the STL files for this train? I'd love to print an HO scale version.

Cheers!

Return to “Model building”