Russian armored MBV-2 (3D printed)

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
EPOCH3

Russian armored MBV-2 (3D printed)

Post by EPOCH3 » 26 Aug 2018, 15:13

Hi - when I began to teach myself how to draw CAD models, I used an old book I had on Russian motorized armored draisines and wagons (MBV) as learning/source material. The book had some very good 3-view drawings in it and the subject matter was fairly simple in shape. I ended up modeling all the wagons I could find data on since in many cases, they used the same or similar turret parts (which were often the most difficult part to model).

Awhile back I did a 3D printed version of the Draisine MBV-2 with the older T-28 turrets which is now available in 1/35th scale from Hobby Boss. Once the Hobby Boss model came out I sort of lost interest in it and threw my MBV-2 on the storage shelf for awhile. Recently, I decided to try and finish it.

When I first printed the model parts, they came out sort of "rough" and I almost threw them away since they were really not of the higher quality I had come to expect from my printer. Nothing fit together quite right and surfaces were defective. It turned out that the printer simply needed a good cleaning after a year of heavy use. In the end, I treated my inferior parts a bit like an old vacuform kit and tried to save them and shape the thing into an acceptable model.

Please find attached a few pictures of my MBV-2 project. It's still a WIP but starting to come together.

Happy Modeling
Attachments
DSC_0019 a.jpg
DSC_0009 a.jpg
DSC_0010 a.jpg
Rus MBV 2a.jpg

EPOCH3

Re: Russian armored MBV-2 (3D printed)

Post by EPOCH3 » 26 Aug 2018, 15:15

Here are a few more pictures
Attachments
DSC_0006 a.jpg
DSC_0008 a.jpg
DSC_0003 a.jpg

Andrzej Ditrich

Re: Russian armored MBV-2 (3D printed)

Post by Andrzej Ditrich » 26 Aug 2018, 23:21

3d model looks very good Greg :) I like the way is was divided for printing.
What is the thickness of the walls of superstructure?

Now MBV is accessible in both: 35th and 72nd (UM company).

Return to “Model building”