Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf J trop Academy 1/35

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
McDonald

Re: Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf J trop Academy 1/35

Post by McDonald » 11 Mar 2021, 21:13

Very effective use of shading. The desert sun reeked havoc on paint jobs, and I believe you have really captured the sun fading effect without taking it too far. Just right I think.

Milan Mynar

Post by Milan Mynar » 13 Mar 2021, 09:52

I sprayed the model with glossy varnish, as a basis for applying decals. After the varnish dried, I applied decals from TORO Model, Captured and non-standard vehicles in Polish service. I decided to make a model of the machine used by the Carpathian Hulan Regiment in Egypt in 1942 ,as a training vehicle.

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 14 Mar 2021, 17:42

Good choice. I believe it usually adds interest when you do a model somewhat differently.from what you would normally expect to see. One of these days I am going to get around to modeling a US 1/4 ton as modified by Popski's Private Army.

Milan Mynar

Post by Milan Mynar » 14 Mar 2021, 20:44

The Popski's Private Army was an interesting unit, more like brotherhood then military unit. Commander of this unit Vladimir Peniakoff was Russian born in Belgium. I have heard about them. It is a good idea to build model a vehicle of the famous unit.

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 14 Mar 2021, 21:46

Brotherhood maybe, but I have the impression that they were more a collection of Buccaneers. Well I suppose that too is a brotherhood of sorts. They are hardly known here in the States, overshadowed by the more famous Special Air Service and Long Range Desert Group. Regardless of which is more famous though, they collectively wrote a unique chapter in the history of warfare.

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 16 Jun 2021, 20:06

Well Milan, I took the plunge into 1/35 scale and ordered the Academy Panzer III Trop some weeks ago. It came into my local hobby shop yesterday, and I am going to pick it up this afternoon. Any tricks or tips you could give me with those link and link tracks would be most welcome.

Milan Mynar

Post by Milan Mynar » 10 Nov 2021, 18:15

I returned to this model, to finish it, in the end.

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 28 Dec 2021, 20:13

Milan: I mentioned before how inspired I was by your Panzer III build as I built my own of the same kit. Have you by any chance seen Academy's Panzer II/F. My local hobby shop got it in a couple of weeks ago, and I bought it as soon as I saw it. Really nice kit and every bit as well engineered as the Mark III. It is also meant to be built as a desert version and the color illustrations are really good as they were in the Mark III. Have not started to build it yet as my wife has a COVID break trough, and has been feeling rather poorly this last week. Both of us are vaccinated, so it could have been worse I expect. Anyway, I intend to start on it this weekend. Wish me luck, my skills are not nearly what your's are.

Milan Mynar

Post by Milan Mynar » 30 Dec 2021, 00:53

Hi, I'm glad you and your wife are okay to beat Covid. Some were unlucky, unfortunately. I also bought the Pz.Kpfw II Ausf F tank model from the Academy. You're right, it's a good model, it will build well. Put some photos from the building of the model here. I look forward to your building.

Return to “Model building”