PSC

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
yantaylor

PSC

Post by yantaylor » 08 Dec 2022, 13:37

Hi everyone.

I have just been checking out Plastic Soldier Company for British WW2 1/72 scale kits, now as I can see there is not a lot of choice, but I can get around this if I keep to a certain type of vehicle. The period I am going for is 1944/45 and if I just keep to Shermans, Fireflys, Churchills, Stuarts (or M5) and Cromwells, then I am okay, but the biggest problem is that they don't do any tank destroyers. I could get by with just the Achillies but they don't do a version.

This leaves me with using another range for my AT Destroyers, but PSC build rather bulky vehicles, which I like but they don't mix well with other makers.
Is there a vehicle range out there which will compare in size to PSC?

PSC do have the option of expanding their range but I cant see them doing this, they seem more concerned in moving in to other fields which is a shame as they have left gaps for vehicles like Armoured Cars and Jeeps/Kubelwagons etc as well as Tank Destroyers.

Thank you
Ian

yantaylor

Re: PSC

Post by yantaylor » 11 Dec 2022, 21:38

Okay that didn't go down too well.
Has anybody built the amourfast achilles? if so will it sit right next to PSC Shermans?

Ian

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 24 Dec 2022, 22:25

Thank you everybody and merry christmas

Chris T G

Post by Chris T G » 07 Jan 2023, 21:58

Hello Ian. I'm still finding my way around the boards, and I've just found your enquiry.
Are you looking at collecting armour models for display or gaming?
My interest is gaming WW2 German ( Normandy campaign1 ), but your question is a familiar one.
Ranges are often not compatible, but there are sites i might recommend that might be helpful. Chris

P.S. PSC seem to produce a range designed to give gamers the vehicles they need in large numbers. The advent of 3d printing might well have had an impact on their plans for the range.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 11 Jan 2023, 22:58

Thank you Chris.

I use to be a gamer when WW2 was pretty popular (1970s), I have completed a full Pz Gren Company circa 44 and I am now working on the reccon element.
I was hoping to use all PSC vehicles but the gaps in their range makes that impossible.
The problem is that PSC dosent match other kits, they are too large and bulky.
I have asked PSC about expanding their range but got no answer.

Ian

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 12 Jan 2023, 14:18

Ian, PSC don't even match from different vehicle to vehicle most of the time, compare their Pak 40 on the Marder and that which comes with the RSO and you wouldn't believe that they were supposed to be the same gun never mind the same scale.
Alan

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 12 Jan 2023, 17:56

Hi Alan, you are correct, there is also a big with the .50 cals too, huge things more like a 37mm :D

The only others which do good value for money with multiple vehicles in the box are "armourfast" and "pegasus", never made any of them but the armourfast models do look rather basic online.

Ian

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 13 Jan 2023, 18:09

I cant help think that PSC have missed a great chance to add three rare and great AFVs to their list, they brought out the Pz 38t and varients but declined a chance to add the Grille ausf K, Flak Pz 38t and Marder ausf M.

Ian

Chris T G

Post by Chris T G » 14 Jan 2023, 17:25

The advent of plastic models for 15mm gamers clearly had an effect on Battlefront. The breadwinners were made available in plastic and were cheaper and easier to source, and they followed suit. Filling the gaps in my BF collection became a hobby in itself*.
I have started buying 3d resin prints. I tend nit to mix models in units if i can help it, but the prints are close enough to BF models.
Luckily BF figures were consistent in style, but varied in height and stature which is most useful.
I like the approach that Jõao Pedro Peixoto takes,,shown on his blog jp wargaming place. His work isn't for everybody, but the way he approaches the challenge of filling out those pesky OOB lists is great.
And he'll post images of his work in progress, which is always useful, such as his unit of Armourfast M18s
He also produces videos showcasing his minis for YouTube.
* Currently converting metal BF Hungarian motor crews into German crews as I'm nit at all keen on their plastics.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 20 Jan 2023, 19:52

Hi Yantaylor

It's the tracks that put me off Armourfast.

Well OK, also the fact that my wargaming ideas tend to run to the exotic like the Luxembourgish Armed Forces (yes really 8O !) and the like. However, a more recent project is the Indian Union Army and the armed forces of Hyderabad in 1948 and the PSC models have been a real boon both becuase they have the types I needed and go together without a struggle but also because they have crew figures (which I consider a must, albeit not all wargamers do), lots of conversions (esp the carriers) and they convert easily to other things (eg Sextons to Kangaroos). I am happy to forego total accuracy for these benefits and of course I am not all that familiar with British/American gear so this does not offend me the way it probably would if it was, say, Polish :thumbsup:

Alas, as you may have guessed, the mainstream WW2 has somewhat passed me by, so I am unable to help much on the feel of models (the old Skytrex 1/72 seemed to fall into that ballpark as i remember - but where are they now I have no idea). However, you may find Scalemates a useful site as they often have links to modelling sites for particular kits where measurements may often be given or even diret comparisons with other models made. Henk of Holland migh be another useful source of ideas for where to source the destroyers you want. Another possible approach might be to look for conversions for PSC models. Conversions for other manufacturers' mainstream kits is an industry in it's own right!
Last edited by gebhk on 20 Jan 2023, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 20 Jan 2023, 20:15

I understood that Armourfast had gone out of business, not that I've looked on their site to confirm.
Alan

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 20 Jan 2023, 20:37

Still active as far as I can make out from the Companies House website and their website seems to be in working order (not that that proves anything, of course). Plentiful kits available from Hannants and other suppliers etc...

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 22 Jan 2023, 22:36

I can get hold of armourfast pretty easily enough Alan, but when I checked out some of their models, the running gear is pretty basic, the Valentine tank is a perfect example of this.

Hi, Geb, I always check out Henks site, I have never bothered with scalemates, I thought it was a shop :P

There is an Irish guy on youtube who does some great reviews on models, he does quite a few armourfast kits, his name is Ronan Hayes I think :?

Ian

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 23 Jan 2023, 11:11

Ian, I only use the Armourfast German 105mm Howitzer all my vehicles being 1/76.
Alan

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 23 Jan 2023, 12:51

Hi Alan, I have quite a few Airfix and Matchbox 1/76 kits, they pop up a lot on ebay, I have never bought any of the Revell versions of matchbox but the problems I have with them is the rubber band tracks, they are the pits.

Ian

Return to “Model building”