How you destroyed models

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
rcristi2271

Post by rcristi2271 » 09 Jul 2004, 22:18

He he, once i've dropped a huge book on my unfinished FW 190 Dora. Needless to say that my Dora was damaged beyond repair...

Ruben

Post by Ruben » 10 Jul 2004, 13:19

yup :roll:

flatus antiquatus

Re: How you destroyed models

Post by flatus antiquatus » 27 Aug 2009, 17:11

I once came home from taking my wife out to dinner to find that my two cats had jumped on my display case with a wooden clipper ship in it. The model was a meter long, had thousands of parts and I built it off and on over a period of 21 years! The elaborate display case I built and the beautiful ship were totally destroyed. I had valued it at a few thousand dollars. Oh, and one of my cats sliced open his leg and muscles, bled all over the house, and we had to spend several hours that night in the emergency room of an animal hospital and it cost over $600 in medical bills to get him sewed up. (He is okay now). Rather than be upset, I joked at the time to my wife that it was a sign from heaven that I needed a new ship model kit. From the look she gave me, I didn't know whether she wanted to kill the cat or me! Since getting the cats was my idea in the first place, I guess you could say I destroyed my ship, Waah!!

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 27 Aug 2009, 22:42

When I was younger, the fourth of July was always open season on the plastic models I made. Smoke bombs were always fun to put inside 1:35th scale tanks (created an interesting weathered effect as well). ;)

Mimbrogno

Post by Mimbrogno » 11 Sep 2009, 23:10

My Dad told me stories of crazy things he did when he was young. He got to be a master at orchestrating cataclysmic scenes using lots and lots of firecrackers, gunpowder, and even dynamite. One of his favorite things to do was bury a firecracker underground, stick a bunch of troops on top, set up 5 or 6 other spots on his battlefield, then light them all off with different timed fuses. He said it looked just like scenes from the movies with dirt, plastic and armymen flying everywhere! :lol: He'd also throw lit cherry bombs at models for artillery barrages... those were really effective against ships. Another highlight was the time my Dad took an empty papertowel tube, sealed the ends with tape and paper, and filled it solid with gunpowder and TNT from fireworks. He burried it in the backyard of his friends house, and they blew it up. It left a crater 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep, and the blast shattered all the windows of the neighboring houses. :lol: 8O

Trackhead M2

Post by Trackhead M2 » 14 Apr 2012, 19:12

Horvath wrote:I've just thought about a funny thread,tell how you destroyed your models,lol :lol: this one should be funny.
Dear Big H,
I guess the consensus is Air powered guns, explosives, and arson.
Strike Swiftly,
TH-M2

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 14 Apr 2012, 19:54

Horvath wrote:I've just thought about a funny thread,tell how you destroyed your models,lol :lol: this one should be funny.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well, In my misspent youth I wasn’t the empathic & :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: caring metrosexual male I've become & I failed to realise that most ‘supermodels’ wanted to be appreciated for ‘who they were inside’ instead of being treated as ‘Arm Bling”…
You fellows realise how painful this confession is…
:cry: :( :( :( :cry:

waldzee
Banned

Re:

Post by waldzee » 14 Apr 2012, 23:39

Daniel L wrote:
Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I often destroy models by attempting to build them :P
Me too, it's often the painting of the model that ruins it. Personally I think destroying models on purpose is blasphemy. :)

Best regards/ Daniel
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A classic John Singer Sargeant fan...

http://www.jssgallery.org/paintings/madame_x.htm

:lol: 8-)
updated : http://www.jssgallery.org/Resources/Forum/Kidman1.htm
:D

waldzee
Banned

It has been suggested by 'PM":

Post by waldzee » 23 Apr 2012, 16:02

:P that I may have '
'misinterpeted the meaning of the Original Post' :P

flatus antiquatus

Post by flatus antiquatus » 26 Jun 2012, 22:41

Once when my three brothers and I were kids, we built a cheap AMT '32 Ford Deuce coupe model. I obtained an M-80 from a kid at school, (he sold it to me for 10 cents--how could I resist?) We drilled a hole for the fuse through the trunk and inserted it. We blew it up in a baseball field across from our house. Then we scoured the ground for pieces. Surprisingly, we found dozens of them, large and small. We found additional pieces all that summer. We had fun reassembling as much of it as we could, (about 50%). and glued it to a cardboard base. Around the wreck, we glued various pieces we identified but could not reattach and labeled them, such as: "bit of steering wheel", "piece of seat", "piece of front axle", etc. We even had a pile of pieces labeled "miscellaneous". One interesting thing was that we found a couple of pieces of the trunk and on the inside of it there was small blue lettering in alphabet letters that were backwards. Looking closely, the letters spelled out: "do not hold in hand." The M-80 blew its own printing onto the surface of the trunk's inner side. I remember my uncle visting us once and seeing that display on a shelf and giving us boys some funny looks. We called it "The Mafia Car"...

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 28 Jun 2012, 06:11

I'd take a tank or airplane model to a sandy area in my back yard, pour model cement onto it in stratigic locations, and light the glue with a match.
While they were fun to watch burn like they did in the Godzilla movies, nowadays I REALLY regret those destuctive acts now; those models were parts of my irreplacable childhood, which at the time thought would never end. :cry:

HFK

Post by HFK » 28 Jun 2012, 19:11

I remember the first model airplane I built, a Mustang P-51. I got so much glue on the windshield , while trying to attach it to the body, that the windshield was almost totally covered. Had this been a real plane, the poor pilot's visibility would haver been almost zero. With time, my models did become better.
Harry

Trackhead M2

Post by Trackhead M2 » 29 Jun 2012, 00:50

HFK wrote:I remember the first model airplane I built, a Mustang P-51. I got so much glue on the windshield , while trying to attach it to the body, that the windshield was almost totally covered. Had this been a real plane, the poor pilot's visibility would haver been almost zero. With time, my models did become better.
Harry
Dear HFK,
I had the same issue with aircraft models for years. That got me to switch first to ships then later AFVs. I was never in Model Maniac's league but I got good enough to make dioramas with troops, tanks,and actual forestry.
Strike Swiftly,
TH-M2

uhu

Post by uhu » 29 Jun 2012, 06:55

When I switched from quarter inch and odd scale aircraft to 1/72nd I had a neat way of destroying the former. A weight put in the nose, a hole drilled in the wing tip near center of gravity with 25 feet of string attached. I'd fly it in a circle, faster and faster, and then take a few steps toward a concrete building and the next pass produced nothing but splinters. Still amazed at how fast one could get them to go.

LSSAH1944

Post by LSSAH1944 » 29 Jun 2012, 19:38

I don't understand. How did you do this/ it sounds fun :) for that old me109 ive got thats all demaged.

Return to “Model building”