Maresal - the Romanian tank destroyer

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
prejo

Maresal - the Romanian tank destroyer

Post by prejo » 20 Sep 2002 09:52

Hi all,
I'm looking for a Maresal kit in 1/35th scale. Does any of you heard of such kit (even an old one)? The only kit I've heard about is form Kora, an 1/72nd resin kit...

thanks in advance,
prejo

David C. Clarke

Hi Prejo

Post by David C. Clarke » 24 Sep 2002 15:24

HI Prejo, to my knowledge the only company that made a Maresal kit was a French company, Azimut. I think the company's full name may be ADV/Azimut. This was a resin conversion kit that supplied the upper and lower hull, gun, etc., but I think you needed a hetzer kit to add the roadwheels and tracks. I don't know if it is still in production, I recall seeing a review of it that basically said it was a fairly difficult kit even for a resin conversin kit. I hope this helps.
Cheers, David :D

prejo

Post by prejo » 25 Sep 2002 10:26

Hi David,
Thanks for your info.. Unfortunatelly Hetzer and Maresal didn't have same chassis... Maresal was build using a russian T-60 chassis with its main gun a Romanian built Resita model 43 gun, while Hetzer used a Czech LT-38 chassis. It crossed my mind to try to convert a Hetzer to a Maresal due to similarities in chassis... It'll be a hard work indeed but I have to have my own Maresal! :wink:

Anyway I'll try to locate the french manufacturer on the Net...

regards,
prejo

David C. Clarke

Well

Post by David C. Clarke » 25 Sep 2002 14:26

Hi Prejo, well actually that may be a matter of debate. The Maresal didn't reach series production, so it's really a matter of what the prototypes looked like. Admittedly the original idea was to use the Russian chassis. However, by prototype
M-05 (after which the first 200 series Maresals were due to be patterned) Rumania had accepted German aid and was to use Hetzer tracks and engine. Axworthy's drawing of the M-05 learly shows the Hetzer large roadwheels, leaf spring suspension and drive sprocket an idler. Whether the chassis
(i.e., the lower hull) remained a modified T-60 is unknown to me, but assuming it was, with the addition of all of the Hetzer suspension elements, Maresal would have shown a close family relationship to this vehicle and I believe that was the prototype Azimut intended to reproduce. Cheers, David

Maresal-06

Post by Maresal-06 » 25 Sep 2002 16:18

I have already seen on EBAY.COM a Maresal-06 "Romanian Hetzer" tank for sale. I think it was AZIMUT. But it was sold for at least 90$. Pretty expensive, for a resin kit. It was 1/35.

P.S.: Do you think that we could find some kits in metal? (Romanian tanks, airplanes...)

David C. Clarke

Hi!

Post by David C. Clarke » 26 Sep 2002 02:54

Hi Maresal 06, I've been racking my brains all day trying to think if I had ever seen another model of Rumanian armor, particularly the Maresal.
I'm sorry to say I haven't. I remeber the Azimut model because I've always wanted to build the Maresal in 1/35th. I really like SPs and I even managed to find a Zrinyi model. But the azimut kit is the only one I know of, in any scale. Once again the airplane guys have it better than us armor guys. I told you guys, I think, that I bought the Hasegawa 1/48th Scale Hs-129 in Rumanian markings--great kit!
Well, hopefully some company will make a kit of the Maresal, it deserves to be kitted because of its uniqueness and the effect it had on armor design with its sharply angled superstructure. Oh well, we live to hope.
Best Regards, David :D

prejo

Romanian WW2 AFVs

Post by prejo » 26 Sep 2002 07:40

Hi David and Maresal 06 (pretty fine nick you've choose!:)),

You're right David about the production of that panzerjaeger... But the prototipes were based on T-60 chassis... And that's the only Maresals that ever saw the light of the sun..:) One is presumed to be on conservation at Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia...

I've found an site (http://www.rjproducts.com/Catalogs/ADV_ ... ction.html ) with the possibility to buy Maresal from Azimut. It costs 87$ and indeed too expensive even for a resin kit. I did not see any picture of it there and I don't think that I'll risk that amount only to buy a modified Hetzer...

As for other "original" romanian AFV there is a kit also in 1/35th scale of TACAM R2 from CMK. And it costs (in US) about 20$. TACAM is an self-propelled anti-tank gun (TACAM comes from romanan words of self-propelled...., and R2 is romanian designation for LTvz-35 czech light tank), build on a LTvz 35 chassis, equiped with a russian ZIS-3 AT gun (76.2)

regards,
prejo

PS Another resin kit of Maresal, 1/72nd scale, can be found at KORA, also a czech manufacturer... Costs ~15$

Maresal-06

Post by Maresal-06 » 26 Sep 2002 14:01

Hello. On EBAY, there's actually the nice kit of the TACAM R-2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1770573314

Good price!

And also, I bought a "kit" of R-2 from an Australian guy.

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David C. Clarke

Cool

Post by David C. Clarke » 27 Sep 2002 02:30

Way Cool Maresal 06! What scale is it in? Looks to be 1/72nd or smaller.
Best Regards, David :D

prejo

Post by prejo » 27 Sep 2002 08:44

Hi,

Yes, good price indeed... But GERMAN PzJg??? 8O It is a romanian conversion of a czech LTvz-35 (designated as R2 in Romanian Army) with a russian ZIS-3 AT Gun (76.2)... Used only by Romanians. Not to mention the King Michael's Cross painted on it...

AFAIK Ostmodels have kits in two scales: 1/72nd and 1/76th... Probably this is one of 1/76th scale models.

You may look at http://www.geocities.com/ipmsro and you can see a pseudo Maresal "blueprint"... It has no dimenssions (sorry, don't know the english word for that, but hope you'll understand what I mean). This page is in Romanian, it will be the page of IPMS Romania which actually it was not established yet. It will take a few more weeks untill we can call us officially IPMS Romania. It's a secret! :wink: You can also find there a list of kits for aircrafts used by ARR (Romanian Airt Force) during WW2. Just push the button "Istorie" and then click on "FARR...." A list of kits for AFV's will be posted there soon.

regards,
prejo

Maresal-06

Post by Maresal-06 » 27 Sep 2002 14:05

Yeah, people are ignorant... On ebay, I saw many stupid errors, like this one. A Romanian flag, identified as a Polish one, etc.

The R-2 is 1/76; I'm not so specialized in modeling, so in centimeters (or inches), how much would be the build-up kit? 15 cm? 10? And also, it looks to already have the original color.

Does the R-2 had the Michael's War Cross, or the Romanian Roundel... What kind of insignia did he have? This is a "late version".

And another question: Can we find Romanian kits in metal? This would be so nice... Why always plastic?!

Best regards,

prejo

Post by prejo » 27 Sep 2002 14:45

Hi all,
The roundel was the pre-war insignia, in (July) 1941 was replaced with King Michael's Cross. After the truce with tha Allies the king Michael's Cross was replaced with the blue-yellow-red roundel. This is the army' insignia today. For a while this roundel was replaced by a red star with the roundel on the middle. Usually on the front the tanks had painted a white KMCross on fron and sides and a coloured one on the back (for aerian recognition).

I don't have the dimennsions of the R2 at hand right now but I think that 10 centimeters will be the lenght of the model in 1/76th scale. In inches (wait, I'm computing.. :) ) ~3.937' :mrgreen: Or you can take a ruler and measure the lenght of the hull.. :D

I think that's more easy to inject plastic than casting metal... And the romanian tanks are not so popular... :wink:

regards,
prejo

Maresal-06

Post by Maresal-06 » 27 Sep 2002 15:48

Thanks, prejo! 50 years ago, near all soldiers, tanks and & toys were made of metal... :P

It is very interesting to see that the Red Star with the roundel in the middle was replaced in 1985 (during communist period) by the simple roundel. Since the middle '70s, the Romanian army's colors and insignia was reformed. The Soviet "peanut" type helmet was replaced with a "modernized" Dutch helmet, inspired from the WW2 model. It is very interesting to see this Romanization, in the Warsaw Pact. :)

Best regards,

MaxFax

Ostmodels

Post by MaxFax » 30 Sep 2002 06:07

If you are interested in 1/76 scale, Ostmodels from Tasmania make beautiful, well detailed resin kits. Take a look at http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/ostmodels.htm. You will find there:

Rumanian Tacam T60
Rumanian 47/32 ATG
Rumanian R2
Rumanian Resita 75m43 ATG
Rumanian R35/45
Rumanian Tacam R2

Cristian

Maresal-06

Post by Maresal-06 » 30 Sep 2002 19:15

Multumesc, Cristian!

But actually the page isn't available. Have you any idea, of how much would cost one of these kits?

Best regards,

M-06

Return to “Model building”